What was your first computer? (1 Viewer)

Jerry Twig

Supporter
Solutions
Was playing a bit of Tetris yesterday (Tetris Revolution - nice programme) and it took me back to the days I wasted on the Gameboy, and beyond to loading games for half an hour by cassette to the sound of a cat being strangled. I had an Atari 128 XL. The game of choice was Pole Position. Happy days.

Anyone here old enough to have been a proud owner of a Vic 20 or Spectrum? Anyone hoarding a Commadore 64?

stamp_vic20_youngster.jpg

Oh yes! had one of these bad boys for many a year. All I remember about that was playing Frogger.

Had one of those ping-pong games for the tv too. Ours had 4 (read 'em and weep!) variations; tennis, squash, hockey and something else...

Happy times. All gone now that we moved house and all that stuff got trashed, shame.

Apple IIc, Vic 20, c64, Atari STe, 286 [IBM I think] are all the retro machines I've worked through.

Happy Memories.

The Best Game Ever!!!! >>>> Carrier Command for the ST.

Teary Dreams.

jesus, the list is long

CPC464 (still have it, and some BASIC shit I wrote on tape)
IBM PS/2 (mono display, dual floppy drives, later with 40mb HDD. Played a lot of Xenon 2 on it)
Generic pentium w/28.8 modem, turbo button etc. No idea what year, I think '94 - the year IOL launched, anyway.
Sony Vaio
IBM ThinkPad
IBM ThinkPad
IBM ThinkPad/Powerbook

oh and a rack full of xeons, but I don't think that counts

Was there ever a thing called an Atari 2600? The ad for it had a rap that went

rapper:"Under 50 bucks"
two kids and their da, shocked: "Under 50 bucks?!"
rapper: "now isn't that nice?"

It had centipede as a game.

Then an Amiga 500. Turricane II was a great game.

One of my primary school chums reviewed the 2600 on Scratch Saturday. FACT

the 2600 was a games console, the first i think. had to go to a mates for a go on the 2600 long before we ever got a computer in the house.

Starting in 1982:
zx81
vic20
c64
c128
c128d
amiga500
amiga1200
p75
p166
<years of hazy upgrades>

Now: AMD64-3000

one of those horrible green and black amstrad word processors. well technically that was my ma's - my first computer was a toshiba laptop, but that's not going to be the source of any nostalgia.

Hott Indie Boy said:
one of those horrible green and black amstrad word processors. well technically that was my ma's - my first computer was a toshiba laptop, but that's not going to be the source of any nostalgia.

That was my first computer too! I had the 'Usborne Guide to BASIC' and wrote little quizzes on it.

amstrad.jpg

Apple //e, which I've still got hidden away in my attic. I really wanted to be Ferris Bueller, hacking into my school to change my grades. But there's only so much you can do with a //e when you're five years old and the only software you have is Visicalc.

Be the Hokey said:
if you can pre-date a Vic 20, what was this yoke like?
1k ram, black & white, no sound, ridiculous "keyboard".

at the time - deadly! totally awesome to the child me.

now? think: calculator watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back