What Pedal am I looking for? (1 Viewer)

sparse

Website
www.facebook.com
I was thinking about adopting two amps in my set up, ya know, for the extra balls. Anyway ya know the sound of two guitars playing the same thing, neither of them are exactly in time so there's a phase!? difference, is that the right term? Anyway is it possible to make one guitar sound like two different guitars by using a:
Phase pedal
Delay pedal
Chorus Pedal

Or which would be better?

I was thinking about adopting two amps in my set up, ya know, for the extra balls. Anyway ya know the sound of two guitars playing the same thing, neither of them are exactly in time so there's a phase!? difference, is that the right term? Anyway is it possible to make one guitar sound like two different guitars by using a:
Phase pedal
Delay pedal
Chorus Pedal

Or which would be better?
i think chorus is pretty much defined by "the sound of two guitars playing the same thing, neither of them are exactly in time" - but unless used properly it just sounds like SHIT.

Chorus can tend to sound very ''80s''

But maybe it depends on what you do with it

I think you're thinking of a very short delay, like 20-50ms (he says plucking a figure outta his ass).
It can be good fun to use a delay pedal with a clean out and a delayed out and send one to each amp.
Some good sounds to be had.

I have an old analogue delay pedal with stereo output.
Output A to amp A
Output B to amp B

Stereo madness...

I think you're thinking of a very short delay, like 20-50ms (he says plucking a figure outta his ass).
It can be good fun to use a delay pedal with a clean out and a delayed out and send one to each amp.
Some good sounds to be had.

I have an old analogue delay pedal with stereo output.
Output A to amp A
Output B to amp B

Stereo madness...
my thoughts exactly

Well yea, to answer all you points. I hate chorus and phase pedals but that cause everytime I've used one I've whacked it up to 10 to see what was the most it could do. I'd be looking for an incredibly small amount of "effect" from it so they might work but I don't know.

I have a DD6 with a stereo out and I've tried it out with two amps for a sweeping back/forth effect and it sounds cRazY. Must have a go at the slight delay thing but I have a feeling that it might be too constant and not have the same slight shift of phase that 2 people would have.

john reiss has two outputs from his guitar, and uses two marshall stacks, one cleanish, the other dirty-ish, but with no delay at all, and that guitar sounds *monstrous*

Must have a go at the slight delay thing but I have a feeling that it might be too constant and not have the same slight shift of phase that 2 people would have.

It's not even a shift of phase though really, the 'phase shift' you're talking about is a minor ammount of delay (rather then a phase pedal, which constantly shifts the delayed out of phase signal) tuned so the two signals cancel each other out a shade, you'll note a tone difference, even a slight "hollowing" out of the sound, which will lessen as the delay times lenghten

Even so you're never going to get a sound like two guitar players, the reason two guitar players sounds bigger is cause there is two guitars, two arms, two brains, four ears, all working off each other

I''ve mucked about with this before, I think the big gains are to be made in tunning your amps, which amp will handle the low end, which will handle the high end, use a delay in the loop of one, fuzz one out and keep one clean

If you can set up a clean sound on your first amp and have the other set up to distort like hell, set up a channel changer on the distorted amp and have the clean channel mute, when you distort your 1st amp hit the channel changer, BOOM!!!

fun stuff

We used to use 2 amps for 1 guitarist in rehearsal.

Had 1 amp on all the time with mild distortion.
Then had a lead from that amp into the 2nd amp.

The 2nd amp had 2 channels & a footswitch.
We had the volume on the channel 1 all the way down & a heavy distortion sound on channel 2.

This way, when you hit the footswitch it has the effect of turning amp 2 "on & off".

A lot of bands use this light distortion combined with heavy distortion to give a heavy sound but with definition.

Now we just a Marshall DSL 100 though. Would love to try a similar setup with this & a Mesa but unfortunately I wasn't the only winner of the €6 Million Lotto last night.

Try using a TU2.

Run your main amp through the bypass and play away with your standard tone. Any distortion or other pedals you may use can be looped after the TU2.

Then run a second amp from the mute-able output of the TU2. Maybe subsequently here is where you might stick in a bit of chorus or a delay pedal for effect, again do it after the TU2 going into the second amp.

So with your TU2 turned on, the second amp is muted and your left with your standard tone through amp 1 plus any FX you want in that particular loop.

Knock the TU2 off and the second amp comes to life with any kind of trippy set up you'd like to dial in, dualling with amp 1.

Downside is you can tune silently.

Conor

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back