What News.... (1 Viewer)

Solutions
... do you buy, if any?
Was meaning to start this for a while, @Lili Marlene s (shocking) confession that he subscribes to the New Yorker finally gave me the impetus. So as, the title goes, do people buy any newspapers/magazines/opinion led publications?

I'm mad for the news so go with
The Irish Times 3/4 times a week
The Times (of London) the other days
The Sunday Business Post
Standpoint Magazine, a monthly conservative magazine based in the UK, editions are typically half politics and half 'civilisation'.
Queries Magazine, a quarterly pan-European with a progressive political outlook.

I have subscriptions to
New Eastern Europe, a bi-monthly on politics in (surprisingly enough) Eastern Europe.
Visegrad Insight, a twice yearly opinion/analysis magazine on politics, economics and culture in the Visegrad states (Poland, Czech Rep., Slovakia and Hungary)
Le Monde Diplomatique, a French monthly newspaper, generally coming from a left-wing viewpoint.

And finally, I intend to subscribe to The American Conservative, as the title suggests, both American and conservative- the small 'C' matters, they're as critical of the Republican Party as anybody else and concerned most with reigning in US foreign interventionism.

Any recommendations for further reading will be gratefully received.

Someone gave me a subscription to the New Yorker as a gift once. I was delighted with it until I was snowed under with unread magazines all over the gaff. It's a full time job trying to read that yoke.

I don't buy any newspapers or magazines anymore

Where do you find the time for all that @Theodore Kaczynski ?

Student life! But really, I spend two hours a day on the buses, take long (anti-social) breaks and then usually have another read before sleeping. I won't read a whole newspaper either, generally stick to politics, opinion and maybe a few other interesting articles. The magazines are nicely staggered too, I finished Standpoint just as NEE arrived and will pick up Queries at the end of this, or early next week. LMD is rather thin so I'd get through that in a day.

Student life! But really, I spend two hours a day on the buses, take long (anti-social) breaks and then usually have another read before sleeping. I won't read a whole newspaper either, generally stick to politics, opinion and maybe a few other interesting articles. The magazines are nicely staggered too, I finished Standpoint just as NEE arrived and will pick up Queries at the end of this, or early next week. LMD is rather thin so I'd get through that in a day.
i just stare out the window on buses

Had subscriptions to (the American) Wired and Edge for a few years but found I had less and less time for reading at home so didn't renew either.

A couple of years back I went through a (very) brief phase of getting my arse out of the house early on Sunday mornings, going to the shops, and buying the Sunday Times, but it went unread more often than not, so that was the end of that. Also laziness.

Now get almost all my news online, which I pay for by NOT DISABLING ADS LIKE A PRICK.

Someone gave me a subscription to the New Yorker as a gift once. I was delighted with it until I was snowed under with unread magazines all over the gaff. It's a full time job trying to read that yoke.

I don't buy any newspapers or magazines anymore
Me neither.

I used to get the Guardian every day and the Irish Times some days and the Sunday Times every week but I packed them all in.

Too busy living my own news feature

I had to cancel the New York Times subscription cos they were just piling up and I was reading them online before they arrived anyway.
I messed up my free Economist subscription and it's killing me to go back to full price, but I should do it
The Week is also a good read
And also The Atlantic
Viz and Modern Drunkard too. Although I've let the side down on the last one there.
I used to love getting The Slate from Dublin way back when. The address was handwritten and the envelope had a licked stamp on it. And they used to throw in 3 or 4 for the fuck of it sometimes.
Same with Rabble.

Beyond that it's all online snacking of news stories and features. I'm a hoor for Gawker/Deadpsin/Jezebel.

Digital sub with the IT, usually buy the SBP but often it goes unread.

I worry that the SBP will go the way of the Tribune and we'll be left with the Sindo and Irish versions of British papers of a Sunday.

I had to cancel the New York Times subscription cos they were just piling up and I was reading them online before they arrived anyway.
I messed up my free Economist subscription and it's killing me to go back to full price, but I should do it
The Week is also a good read
And also The Atlantic
Viz and Modern Drunkard too. Although I've let the side down on the last one there.
I used to love getting The Slate from Dublin way back when. The address was handwritten and the envelope had a licked stamp on it. And they used to throw in 3 or 4 for the fuck of it sometimes.
Same with Rabble.

Beyond that it's all online snacking of news stories and features. I'm a hoor for Gawker/Deadpsin/Jezebel.

Used to buy The Economist religiously but slipped out of the habit, may get back into it, aside from anything else nobody does a better obituary.
The masthead puts me off Rabble completely.

... do you buy, if any?
Was meaning to start this for a while, @Lili Marlene s (shocking) confession that he subscribes to the New Yorker finally gave me the impetus. So as, the title goes, do people buy any newspapers/magazines/opinion led publications?

I'm mad for the news so go with
The Irish Times 3/4 times a week
The Times (of London) the other days
The Sunday Business Post
Standpoint Magazine, a monthly conservative magazine based in the UK, editions are typically half politics and half 'civilisation'.
Queries Magazine, a quarterly pan-European with a progressive political outlook.

I have subscriptions to
New Eastern Europe, a bi-monthly on politics in (surprisingly enough) Eastern Europe.
Visegrad Insight, a twice yearly opinion/analysis magazine on politics, economics and culture in the Visegrad states (Poland, Czech Rep., Slovakia and Hungary)
Le Monde Diplomatique, a French monthly newspaper, generally coming from a left-wing viewpoint.

And finally, I intend to subscribe to The American Conservative, as the title suggests, both American and conservative- the small 'C' matters, they're as critical of the Republican Party as anybody else and concerned most with reigning in US foreign interventionism.

Any recommendations for further reading will be gratefully received.
Get Flipboard and subscribe to all those things?

The Economist is one of those magazines that I only ever see on the shelf in the newsagents. I've never encountered an Economist reader before, this is exciting stuff!

The Economist is one of those magazines that I only ever see on the shelf in the newsagents. I've never encountered an Economist reader before, this is exciting stuff!
Cracking read.
No bylines.
And the best, most consistent house style of any magazine out there, for my money anyway.

For years i assumed it would be terribly staid but there's loads of good reading in it, from economics through politics to science and some off-beat pieces. Very dry sense of humour too. As 7 says, its consistently consistent. Pick it up next time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back