What music did you listen to when you were a little kid? (1 Viewer)

First album I ever received was for my 6th birthday and was a Shakin' Stevens one which my brother proceeded to scribble on in a jealous rage. Prick. I remember loving the Beatles and dancing wildly to them for all and sundry. As I got a bit older I (for shame) got in on the whole neighbours vibe and got Kylie's album. Damn you weekly subscription to Smash Hits.

Then once I hit 12/13 I discovered a whole new world and my life was saved.

Madness-Complete-Madness-179690.jpg

Madness were my main thing.

Shuddupa Ya FaceJoe Dolce was the first single I ever bought.

Other singles I loved were Turning Japaneese by The Vapours (imagine my shock when I found out what it was really about in later years), Centerfold by the J Geils Band, Senses working overtime by XTC and many singles by Adam and the Ants, The Police, Shakin' Stevens and Chas and Dave. I still have my little 7" box covered in Marmalade Atkins stickers somewhere.

from parents: beethoven, mozart, rod stewart, crystal gayle, bob dylan, bob marley.
my first record was "let's dance" by david bowie.
my first obsession was prince. i been listening to "parade" again recently, it's completely amazing. still sounds as fresh as a warm egg with specks of chicken shite and maybe a wee white feather on it.

actually I tell a LIE. I was in school, I didn't turn 18 until 92. I got all confused because I started college in 91. Still didn't fancy nuno though.

I didn't fancy him but. Also I've just checked and more than words was released in march 1991 and I was 18 at the time, and in college. Thus far more likely to have been lusting over Mark Arm, or similar.

um...what is it about??

Turning Japanese = Vinegar Strokes

I've got your picture of me and you
You wrote "I love you" I wrote "me too"
I sit there staring and there's nothing else to do
Oh it's in color Your hair is brown
Your eyes are hazel And soft as clouds
I often kiss you when there's no one else around

I've got your picture, I've got your picture
I'd like a million of you all round my cell
I want a doctor to take your picture
So I can look at you from inside as well
You've got me turning up and turning down
And turning in and turning 'round

I'm turning Japanese
I think I'm turning Japanese
I really think so
Turning Japanese
I really think so
I'm turning Japanese
I really think so
Turning Japanese
I really think so

I've got your picture, I've got your picture
I'd like a million of them all round my cell
I want the doctor to take a picture
So I can look at you from inside as well
You've got me turning up and turning down and turning in and turning 'round

I'm turning Japanese
I really think so
Turning Japanese
I really think so
I'm turning Japanese
I really think so
Turning Japanese
I really think so

No sex, no drugs, no wine, no women
No fun, no sin, no you, no wonder it's dark
Everyone around me is a total stranger
Everyone avoids me like a cyclone ranger
That's why I'm turning Japanese
I really think so
Turning Japanese
I really think so
I'm turning Japanese
I really think so
Turning Japanese
I really think so

Turning Japanese
I really think so
Turning Japanese
I really think so
Turning Japanese
I really think so
(think so think so think so)
Turning Japanese
I really think so

My parents had a resonably large record collection when I was a kid, but I couldn't stand most of it. Sinatra, Mantovani, Jackie Gleason...that easy listening shite that I hated then and still hate now. However, they had loads of musical soundtracks that I really liked: West Side Story, Oklahoma, South Pacific, and so on. My mom also had a few Kingston Trio albums I enjoyed.

My sister, who's three years older than me, was also heavily into what most pre-adolescent girls were into in the early '70s: Bobby Sherman, the DeFranco family, the Osmonds - that whole Tiger Beat scene - so I really had no choice but to listen to that. Didn't like much of it, but she also had a bit of glam as well (T. Rex & the Sweet, primarily) that I kinda liked.

But mostly I just listened to Armed Forces Radio (due to living outside the US between '71 and '76), which played only what was big in the American charts at the time. As a result, stuff like "Tie a Yellow Ribbon" and "Seasons in the Sun" are stuck in my brain for all eternity. Not that I really liked that stuff, but there wasn't much choice.

It wasn't until around '77 that I was actually able to choose what I wanted to listen to rather than have to absorb what was around me already. But that's another story entirely.

I developed a love of hissy recordings forever because my dad being a thrifty sort had his entire record collection made of bad tape-recordings he had bought (?) while on duty with the UN in cyprus. As a kid I istened to Kris Kirstofferson, Johnny Cash, Joan Baez, the McGarrigle Sisters and Tom T. Hall singing through a wall of 5th generation tapes.

Hated all this music in my teens and rediscovered it in my late twenties... albeit slightly disappointed that the actual recordings were cleaner.

First record I bought for myself was Pipes of Peace by Paul McCartney when i was about 9 or 10. The Beatles were a disappointment after that.

Some Wally Whyton records (he was a little bit scary), a Pink & Perky one, a TV themes one and the Star Wars theme on 7" (with "Funk" on the b-side) when I was little and that was about it. Didn't really have much interest in pop music much until my voice broke

Who sang that song .."Hey there you with the sad face, come up to my place and live it up"?

My youngest sister said at the time that it was her favourite song ever. She took some slaggin, but in retrospect its not the worst..

My Dad had heaps of classical......which in retrospect was ace!
My Mam adored Roy Orbison........which in retrospect was ace!

parentals - Beach Boys, Merle Haggard, Patsy Cline, George Jones

just old enough to buy records - Def Leppard, AC/DC, Michael Jackson

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back