What movie did you watch last night? (8 Viewers)

Black Book (Zwartbook) directed by the famous controversial director Paul Verhoeven.
Carice Van Houten is absolutely superb in this, film based on the Dutch Resistence.
Almost 3 hours but not one iota too long.....
A bit of trivia was Christian Berkal in this film and also that otehr stunning film Der Untergang.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0389557/

i bought this on dvd in HK and was really keen to watch it - only to find out i'd bought a dodgy pirated copy with no english subtitles. damn! i gave it ten minutes before i simply had to turn it off - didnt want to ruin the experience by not knowing what was being said!

be-kind-rewind-img1.jpg

Be Kind Rewind.

Great. A really sweet, easy flick. Funny as hell, but more visually than in the dialouge.And Goddards 'special effects' are fucking genius.

I wish he'd stop making films for people to bring their boy/girlfriends to though.

I'm glad someone else liked this as much as I did. Nobody else seems to like it. Great movie. The 'special effects' were amazing. Beautiful, heartwarming ending.

The moment when Mike and Jerry's 'disguises' actually worked was a moment of absolute genius!

I loved Be Kind Rewind too!I thought it was sweet and I so fell in love with Mos Def. Plus Jack Black seemed to reign in his annoying Jack Blackness and just be funny..Plus their film remakes were awesome!

Just watched the first couple of thing on 'The Complete Short Films of Jan Svankmajer'. Pretty goddamn good, particularly 'The Last Trick', and 'Punch and Judy' which was fucking incredible.

For anyone interested:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Also rewatched 'Big Trouble in Little China' and 'Labyrinth', nothing new to say there. Can't wait to see 'Be Kind, Rewind'. I don't care what anyone says, I fucking love Jack Black.

'The Escapist' was the surprise film last night..it was a big bag of mickeys..I spent the entire 99 minutes thinking of all the deadly films it could have been.

'The Escapist' was the surprise film last night..it was a big bag of mickeys..I spent the entire 99 minutes thinking of all the deadly films it could have been.
Ha! Glad i didn't book it for once. Seems to be a staple now to show crap films as the Surprise movie.

I'm glad someone else liked this as much as I did. Nobody else seems to like it. Great movie. The 'special effects' were amazing. Beautiful, heartwarming ending.

The moment when Mike and Jerry's 'disguises' actually worked was a moment of absolute genius!

im not sure if i want to watch this PURELY because i found Mos Def so damn annoying in that shitty 16 Blocks movie. is he as annoying in this one?

Had quite looked forward to watching this after quite enjoying the 1st Elizabeth film which was primarily her ascension to the throne and her 1st few formative years, this one took up the story from 1588 which was almost 30 years later, the critics appear to have got it right because while it was a lovely film to look at it wasn't as good as the 1st film.
Cate Blanchett though cannot be faulted, excellent performance.

My Blueberry Nights

It looked lovely, sure, but there was only enough material there for a short-film or a segment in an anthology. Totally half-baked idea. Jude Law's loveable Manc was just nauseating. Also, the director's nods to himself - i.e. the slow-mo shots of Weisz, the use of the main theme from In The Mood For Love and the repetition of songs - came across as hamfisted and shoe-horned in, rather than playful self-referencing.

I think working in English for the first time might have thrown him a bit but WongKarWai is gonna have to up his game if he intends staying in America to make fillums. A major disappointment.

The positive I can take from it is that all the girls looked fantastic. He definitely knows how to make women look great on film.

My Blueberry Nights

It looked lovely, sure, but there was only enough material there for a short-film or a segment in an anthology. Totally half-baked idea. Jude Law's loveable Manc was just nauseating. Also, the director's nods to himself - i.e. the slow-mo shots of Weisz, the use of the main theme from In The Mood For Love and the repetition of songs - came across as hamfisted and shoe-horned in, rather than playful self-referencing.

I think working in English for the first time might have thrown him a bit but WongKarWai is gonna have to up his game if he intends staying in America to make fillums. A major disappointment.

The positive I can take from it is that all the girls looked fantastic. He definitely knows how to make women look great on film.
And this version was edited and reworked since it showed at Cannes, where it was booed (apparently). Pity. Love his chinese films.

i finally saw No Country For Old Men last night.

really loved it, but i think i need to think about it for a few days and then maybe go back and watch it again. i wish i had cowboy boots

i'm really glad i did actually get to see it on the big screen because the use of sound is amazing. i'm sure everything i could possibly say about it has been said already on the "No Country" thread, so i'll just say that is was awesome
the actress who plays Josh Brolin's wife was definitely the stand out performance

i finally saw No Country For Old Men last night.

really loved it, but i think i need to think about it for a few days and then maybe go back and watch it again. i wish i had cowboy boots

i'm really glad i did actually get to see it on the big screen because the use of sound is amazing. i'm sure everything i could possibly say about it has been said already on the "No Country" thread, so i'll just say that is was awesome
the actress who plays Josh Brolin's wife was definitely the stand out performance

Her real name is Kelly ThechickfromTrainspotting

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back