What movie did you watch last night? (8 Viewers)

Went to see 'Dark Horse' on Friday (the new film from the director of 'Noi Albino'). Enjoyable enough, although like extended Carlsberg adverts in places. I think a better film existed with the judge character at it's centre. Nice use of Labraford too.

Watched 'Shaun of the dead' on telly.

Then 'The Hidden Fortress', yet another staggeringly good Kurosawa film. Nearly two and a half hours long. Mifune is an animal. Sumptuous looking film.

we watched High Hope - mike leigh

I thought it was depressing (but good) and she thought it was uplifting (and good)

leigh-ins.jpg

Watched Babel last night.
Quite disappointed.
4 stories, 2 closely linked, the other 2 were kinda pointlessly linked.

Didn't really get a chance to give a shit about some of the characters because they didn't get much screen time.

On a positive note, it downloaded pretty quick!

zodiac. it is verrrryy loonnnnnng. or at least it felt it for the last half hour. it went well up till then though. everyone in it is very good though.. except jake whatshisface is a bit lame.
it was no alien3, like.

The Illusionist.

A) Not as good as the Prestige
B) Kind of a crap ending
C) I enjoyed it overall though

I saw an amazing Herzog film the other night at the NFT, Land of Silence and Darkness. Anyone seen it? It's shot as a documentary about people born deaf-blind or who've become deaf-blind, and it starts off more or less as a documentary, centred on a woman campaigning for their civic rights as she meets different people from that community. And then, really really subtly, it starts to turn into a meditation on communication, and how there's almost a modern fascism of language. The last scene is amazing, the kind of thing where you're on the bus the next day thinking about something else and it keeps popping into your mind, all beautiful and strange. Incredible stuff.

exterminating angel:
the sheep entering the church, fantastic.
and once again, a dvd of taraf de haidouks live:
this is the stuff that music is all about, and shows just how much so called "expert" musicians are full of shit. incredible and invigourating.

Half Nelson.
Twas very good altogether.
I really liked it. And, I was all geared up not to, cause its American, and I am a huge dickhead when it comes to Yank films.

hot fuzz.
really good, nice build up, loads of deadly little touches in the movie.
probably the most consistently funny cast ive seen in a movie for ages.
much better than the shitfest that was shaun of the dead.
best line
"its ok, its just bolognese!"

12 angry men. Never seen it before. Excellent, excellent stuff!

Watched Chronicles of Riddick earlier. I really liked it. As long as you don't think too deeply about it. Anyone read the bukes? Are they any use?

Watched Chronicles of Riddick earlier. I really liked it. As long as you don't think too deeply about it. Anyone read the bukes? Are they any use?

I loved Pitch Black. I remember being very excited about Chronicles of Riddick. I remember it got bad reviews. I have no memories of what it was like though.

On Saturday
t55954zurk7.jpg
seriously good film. Roomy pace, due to stellar editing and cinematography. Strongly acted too particularily from Piccoli.
followed by
t19259bz0xf.jpg
which I think is the best film noir I've seen yet. Robinson was heartbreaking as the naive artist with Joan Bennett as the bitch that fucking drove him to the edge. And Dan Duryea's in it. Masterful film-making.

Woke up the next day knowing I was gonna watch 'Rushmore' and that I did. 'Tell me, what's the secret Maxxie?'

Then
t36808u8wx1.jpg
which is yet another ridiculous Fellini. Almost redeemed by it's last act.

Then
v08025obpyf.jpg
which was a bit wet, but had a likeable cast - 'we are the sons of the sons of the sons of Michelangelo and Leonardo!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back