What movie did you watch last night? (7 Viewers)

Goff said:
Ah, Much Ado About Nothing…?
The Aviator?

I didn't like either of those fillums.

Also, worst Ava Gardner ever.

gardner2.jpg

haha good auld hitch.speaking of Hitch there's a killer bird trapped in our courtyard at work that keeps frightening the girls in my office,flying into the window.he doesn't seem to be able to get out, the buildings are too high.

any suggestions on what to do?

Home For The Holidays. 1972.

Four sisters (Sally Field, Jessica Walter, Jill Haworth and Eleanor Parker) return home to the country to visit their ailing father (Walter Brennan) over Christmas. Their father believes that his current wife (Julie Harris) has tried to poison him, but Dr. Lindsay (John Fink) and the sisters disagree. A storm comes and causes the roads to be flooded and the phone lines are down. Soon it becomes clear that someone wants to kill the sisters as well when one is found murdered by cause of a pitchfork. The youngest sister then tries to run through the woods one day to reach Sheriff Nolan (Med Flory) for help. But she has her own encounter as she sees someone chasing her dressed in a large poncho carrying the pitchfork. She turns back home, only to discover that her other sister and her father were murdered as well. The suspect becomes clear it was their father's wife, but was it someone else?

One of those ABC Movie Of The Week gems.
Classy.

Watched "The Descent". Heard good things about it and it pretty much lives up to the hype. I guess it's sorta a B-movie where a bunch of girls get stuck deep underground in a massive cave and encounter nasty monsters...!

More than decent for the most part. A few nice references to other movies like Predator and Carrie.

If you want some nice gore and a few genuine scares, it's worth checking out. It's not fantastic, but kicks the shit outta most similar Hollywood outings of the last ten years.

Shopgirl: anyone who can stand the site of a fluorescent orange and highly-botoxed Steve Martin tenderly caressing Claire Danes' ass has a stronger constitution than I.

And the voice over?

Sweet jeebus.

Inside Man, finally. was good, just not half as good as i'd been led to believe.

i particularly liked how the hostages neatly stacked the pile of books beside the office door back up again after they got knocked down when that dude was getting dragged out by his ankles.

mmm, continuity.

pete said:
Inside Man, finally. was good, just not half as good as i'd been led to believe.

i particularly liked how the hostages neatly stacked the pile of books beside the office door back up again after they got knocked down when that dude was getting dragged out by his ankles.

mmm, continuity.

i fricking loved that movie.

i think i was the only person in the audience that laughed at denzel washingtons quip about getting his chain pulled for 5 bucks by a tijuana hooker.
also love the bit where the big breasted woman is being interviewed by denzel and his partner and they cant stop staring at her tits.

watched match point this evening... talk about your wild plot tangents.

hermie said:
haha good auld hitch.speaking of Hitch there's a killer bird trapped in our courtyard at work that keeps frightening the girls in my office,flying into the window.he doesn't seem to be able to get out, the buildings are too high.

any suggestions on what to do?

Open the windit. Better yet, walk thru a gauntlet of him holding Tippi Hedren’s hand and get in your car and leggit.

Watched Tristram Shandy: A CockAnd Bull Story. Started off slow. But got there. Coogan and Bryden doing their Pacino impressions at the end. Both of them excellent, neither of them anywhere like each other.

I suppose that just goes to show Pacino’s “range”…. Hoo-aah!

Watched Tideland last night - new Terry Gilliam film about a young girl whose parents die, leaving her to fend for herself in the middle of nowhere...I thought it was the best film I have seen in a long time. It gives a very compelling portrayal of childhood trying to make its way in a pretty screwed-up world (domestic normality at the beginning of the film involves the girl preparing Dad's heroin dose) and some of the darker parts of growing up. Plus it has Barbie heads galore and Jeff Bridges as a corpse.

And Terry Gilliam showed up to talk about all sorts of things, which was an added bonus.

The Wilco film; I am trying to break your heart.

Really nicely filmed in black and white and great to see a little
of how the band operate in the studio.

Millers crossing.

It's been a while since I've seen this. Well worth a rewatch.
Really funny when caspar keeps saying that everyone is giving him
the "High Hat" all the time. Super film and some great performances.

Lars Von Triers - The Idiots

I liked it. A nice comment on normality and roles within
society. Really beautiful and disturbing at the end too with Karen "spassing"
in front of her family.

Andy_aurel said:
Lars Von Triers - The Idiots

I liked it. A nice comment on normality and roles within
society. Really beautiful and disturbing at the end too with Karen "spassing"
in front of her family.

You've fucking well ruined the end of that!

I'd only seen half of it before.

While I'm here - 'Opening Night'. Liked it a lot, showed the nature of the actor really well. Good to see Cassavetes himself in it. He had to cast himself to get a good part (note Cassavetes continuous casting by Hollywood as some malevolent force)!

Absolutely adored the last scene with Rowlands and Cassavetes.

It could be my favourite of the ones I've seen.

Nate Champion said:
You've fucking well ruined the end of that!

I'd only seen half of it before.

While I'm here - 'Opening Night'. Liked it a lot, showed the nature of the actor really well. Good to see Cassavetes himself in it. He had to cast himself to get a good part (note Cassavetes continuous casting by Hollywood as some malevolent force)!

Absolutely adored the last scene with Rowlands and Cassavetes.

It could be my favourite of the ones I've seen.

Sorry about the ending thing man but for me that shouldn't ruin
it. There's much more to it than that. You'll see what I mean.

Been wondering where to start with Cassavetes so that sounds like as
good a place as any.

Andy_aurel said:
Been wondering where to start with Cassavetes so that sounds like as
good a place as any.

Ah, I wasn't being serious about the ending.

Actually, I'd recommend starting with 'Shadows', his first film. Very refreshing and much more tender than most 'realist' films that claim to have been influenced by it. The soundtrack is suburb and the acting really gets you there. Most of all possibly is it's quite funny.
The boxset was going for 50e in tower - that's a good reduction from 90e originally. I'd recommend a purchase if you like good actors being given their head. Cassavetes wasn't one for caring about the actual cinematography so to speak. He notoriously kicked gifted dp Caleb Deschanel off 'A woman under the influence' - but Deschanel just couldn't get what Cassavetes was all about.
I'm sorry, I've read Cassavetes on Cassavetes and could probably be here all day. An interesting, contrary complex man who I didn't get personally, but I understood where he was coming from completely. It's all a quest for truth y'know.
'A woman under the influence' was actually shown at the Galway Fleadh this year, introduced by Cassavetes authority Ray Carney. Did anyone see it? Ironically, possibly the hardest of his films to watch, it proved his biggest hit. Peter Falk is exceptional in it. Then exceptional performances are the norm when it comes to Cassavetes' films.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back