What movie did you watch last night? (10 Viewers)

'Forty Shades of Blue'.
First new film I'd seen in the cinema since 'Brick' and I felt rewarded for my abstinence. Although, once it was over there just doesn't seem much to talk about. It's very refreshing to see a film that doesn't bamboozle us with style or a snazzy editing process. If you don't like the idea of actors being given their head and are fiercely concerned with plot and action, you'd probably want to give it a miss. Cassavetes with less hysterics. The acting is admirably understated, given that there are plenty of tight close ups. The whole piece just seemed real.

I liked it a lot.

saw a film called the peacemaker, on german tv last night. it was savage in a thats so unbelieveably shit, its great! way. it stars dolph lungren(sp?) as a maverick pilot, who has a case containing the launch codes for some atomic missiles stolen from him, he then spends around eighty minuets kicking the shit out of everyone and then saves the day. roy schnider plays the president of america too, but its only a minor role. and i worked all that out from a german dubbed film, when i only know about five words of the language.

'High and Low'. First Kurosawa film I'd seen in ages with that lion Toshiro Mifune in the lead. Moralistic thriller reduced to the bare necessities of plot and character, hard and abstract, just like in those early Michael Mann films.
Didn't drag at all at 2 and a half hours.

Scrocese's After Hours deadly film, even if the end is a bit silly. Rosanna Arquette is absolutely deadly in it. She was one hell of a looker back then aswell

rosanna_arquette.jpg

just bought Salems Lot in HMV at lunchtime!

"The master wants you. Throw away your cross, face the master. Your faith against his faith... Could you do that? Is your faith enough?... Then do it... Throw away the cross. Face the master. Faith against faith."

one of the best horror films ever..back when vampires weren't shite

hermie said:
She was one hell of a looker back then aswell

rosanna_arquette.jpg

Saucy. Her breasts are perfect. She was definitely walking around with them out in some film or other.
Griffin Dunne has the comic goods. John Heard kicking a till in. Dick Miller serenading. This film is bursting with comic balls. One of the best films I rewatched this year.
I like the silly ending...

Film festival time around here, so the weekend was very cinemalicious:

Friday: Subway - Luc Besson's second film, hilariously 80's, no plot, saxophone rock, lots of fun. Highlights include Christopher Lambert not being Highlander and a chubby Jean Reno.

Saturday: Angel-A - Luc Besson's new film. Kind of Wings of Desire as conceived by a horny 15-year-old. Not bad, but it's too shallow to engage emotionally. Besson was there to introduce it - like his films he's big and entertaining.

Sunday: It's Nice Up North - should-have-been-made-for-TV comedy documentary about whether people in the Shetlands are nicer than in the rest of the UK. Notable only because the camerawork is done by Martin Parr.

Monday: Human Nature - Michel Gondry and Charlie Kaufman's first collaboration (before Eternal Sunshine). I think Kaufman's films are great, and I loved this too. It takes a talented film-maker to make this cold-hearted viewer go "Awwww...those mice are using forks!"

Damn. How nice was the Martin Parr camerawork?
Subway rocks. I have it on DVD and watch it far more often than I should.

Nate Champion said:
Saucy. Her breasts are perfect. She was definitely walking around with them out in some film or other.
Griffin Dunne has the comic goods. John Heard kicking a till in. Dick Miller serenading. This film is bursting with comic balls. One of the best films I rewatched this year.
I like the silly ending...

seen most of it before really late a night and thought it was amazing finally bought it.yea the silly ending is good,i suppose it just surprised me.
yea nggll i'd say it's one i could watch again and again,a few deadly subtle one-liners to be picked up i'm sure.must check out the director commentary tonight if i get the chance.scorcese; what a legend

nlgbbbblth said:
Three hour version?
Deadly.
Bought it in HMV too. On VHS a few years ago.

How much was it? Any extras?

yep 183mins

didn't get a chance to watch it last night but i don't think there's any extras..i love it though
i didn't think the three hour version had ever been released to buy.. i'd love a copy of the cinema version too

my da swears that there was a seen after where the master kills the guys parents (one of the scariest scenes ever) where the kid says "i'm going to get you, you bastard". never seen it though

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back