What guitar? (1 Viewer)

CinnamonBoy said:
Just supposing you're an indie guitar hero with maybe €500-€800 to spend on an axe......what would you guys recommend?? Anything I personally was thinking about such as a Gibson double cutaway in faded yellow or a Fender Jaguar I went to Harmony-Central.com to check the reviews and they were generally slated. So now I don't know what to do. And I don't want a telecaster.

You can get any number of great guitars within that budget. Remember a 500 quid guitar today is eons ahead of a 500quid guitar 10 or 15yrs ago.
Fender jags look the part and nothing else sounds like a Jag, but you have to be looking for THAT sound y,know coz they arent flexible. I have a Japanese one that though slated by some I feel is actually a really good guitar once you set it up right, though this can be a pain, it is admittedly way harder to set up than any other guitar I have owned.

Second hand studio Les Pual on ebay, big Gibson sound and they look great. Or if you wanna try something different maybe a Gretsch Electromatic. On a budget these guitars are a mazing value at 450 odd euro. Im a huge Gretsch fan but never felt the need to drop thousands on one and when the budget "squier" ones came out I had to try them and for that money I was blown away. The pickups sound bloody close to the filtertrons and it plays beautifully. Also you get a decent Bigsby!

So is ebay the spot these days for second hand guitars or what? I've a few things i'm going to be looking for over the next month or so, but ebay's not throwing up a whole lot?

Was frantically looking for a guitar the last 2 weeks,retail,Ebay<-bollocks...found a brand new Epiphone SG for 200 sponds on the Waltons website.They have a pretty great selection for all things Gibson actually

How about - a guitar for a noise terrorist? Not much experience from playing, but willing to learn abit while making it up as i go too...one to tweak as much obscure sounds from as possible, while having the option for some bad ass riffin too.

Thinking about fender blues junior for amp, but how about the guitar? Been thinking about jazzmaster/jaguar/toronado, maybe firebird, but the japs don't seem to be very trusted amongst people. Then the Hagstrum's seem interesting and Gordon Brown's too, but if anyone has any recommendations, they are very welcome. Total budget around 1k including the amp (my choice going for 500 now), but if something class comes around, maybe even more. The less the better, more money to get some effects, records, booze. Thanks.

jaakko said:
How about - a guitar for a noise terrorist? Not much experience from playing, but willing to learn abit while making it up as i go too...one to tweak as much obscure sounds from as possible, while having the option for some bad ass riffin too.

Thinking about fender blues junior for amp, but how about the guitar? Been thinking about jazzmaster/jaguar/toronado, maybe firebird, but the japs don't seem to be very trusted amongst people. Then the Hagstrum's seem interesting and Gordon Brown's too, but if anyone has any recommendations, they are very welcome. Total budget around 1k including the amp (my choice going for 500 now), but if something class comes around, maybe even more. The less the better, more money to get some effects, records, booze. Thanks.

You can get some pretty decent stuff for a grand. Personally I don't like firebirds, not nice to play. Sound good tho. Those Jap fenders are great for the price, ignore the snobs, get one wreck it and by the time you've killed it you'll be able to afford a pro guitar. I'm of the opinion that amps are more important than guitars, so I'd say spend most of your money on that. Forget about records and booze for the moment, a weekend off the booze and you'll beable to afford a great distortion/overdrive pedal that'll do you a lifetime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back