What do you do with your .cr2s? (1 Viewer)

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
Or indeed RAW image files on any description? Turns out I have over 49,000 of them sitting on this PC.

Once they've been processed do you delete them or archive them?

also: duplicates. DUPLICATES. gahhh.

I delete all, I don't save any of my jpegs either, all my stuff is on pixie hosting site, if that goes tits up fk it.

Used to keep them but now delete them and keep the jpegs. You can always edit decent jpegs if it comes to it.

yeah but not to the same extent as RAW images.
49,000 ? Jesus christ. Right there is a way of deleting duplicates in Bridge and in Lightroom but I've never done it I think this might help

http://digiscrap101.com/2010/05/video-tutorial-using-bridge-to-delete-duplicate-files.html

It might not I haven't watched it.

Going forward I suggest 2 things

1. make a decisions of what you might work with in the future and if you definitely won't just JPEG it and move on, delete the RAW. if not keep it.

2. if disk space is the issue.

Not sure how useful it is on P.C but on a mac I was very surprised at how small a compressed (archived or zipped) TIFF file is (I do realise that RAW is a lot quicker to work with) if space is an issue it's handy, there's also a way of saving contact sheets in Bridge (which are also very small files) so you can find the image quickly if you need it as I don't think the zipped file appears as a thumbnail. This I can't remember how to do either unfortunately. There really should be no reason to duplicate a TIFF.

I always keep the RAW file but I do have an external hard drive specifically for this.

I do realise this is advice from the man who once said digital photography is destroying photography. And I stand by that. But my employers won't buy me a colour film processor (the cads) so it's this or the dole. I fear I've made the wrong decision

Also I learned that TIFF thing when I was working with medium format scans which can be up to 500mb so it was handy I don't know how much of an issue it is with RAW.

i usually process them to TIFF files (i don't use jpgs except for internettery or sharing) and delete the RAW files, unless they're particularly good or there's particularly tricky lighting where a RAW file would be much more useful than the TIFF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back