What do these turf cutters really want? (2 Viewers)

Deadmanposting

Supporter
The right to strip the entire country of a natural habitat?
It used to be okay to do this, now it's not.

Is that so hard to understand?
We can't continue to rape the environment in the name of tradition.

Anyway, I don't expect any replies on this, but I am stuck on hold here, so I thought I'd share.

To thank you for your time, here is a picture from Ming Flanagan of a digger on fire

294229_1.jpg

The bog where I worked as a kid is now nothing but bare stones. Completely stripped. But at least it saved people from buying gas or oil for a few years

I have some sympathy for ordinary people, cutting turf for their own use. But there are also contractors who run commercial businesses and they'll strip whats left of the bogs in a few years. The equipment that was seized yesterday wasn't for home turf cutting.

Compensate ordinary people but not the contractors.

The Eu can compensate whoever. If a man's livelihood is taken away, sure give him a few quid. Whatever.

No one's arguing about compensation anyway. They reject every offer. They just want to keep cutting.

No one should be allowed cut any more turf on the protected bogs. No matter who they are.

Have 10 hoppers footed and airing from a local farmer. It's the mass production of brickettes from bord na mona that are destroying the countryside.

Have 10 hoppers footed and airing from a local farmer. It's the mass production of brickettes from bord na mona that are destroying the countryside.

BNM do not cut on areas of special protection. Gardai and NPWS backed down and let them have the machinery back.

Bord na Mona are doing for the rest of us what these lads are doing for themselves - would that be fair? I don't see that much of a difference. If they had a listed building they wouldn't be allowed rip it apart and burn the windows on the basis that they were doing it for themselves.

Bord na Mona are doing for the rest of us what these lads are doing for themselves - would that be fair? I don't see that much of a difference. If they had a listed building they wouldn't be allowed rip it apart and burn the windows on the basis that they were doing it for themselves.

Well these bogs are designated as areas of special environmental protection. Not every bog is special. Not every field is special.

if you own a listed building there are restrictions as to what kind of changes you can make to it. But, you get shitloads of financial benefits for sticking to them. I know someone who owns one of the most famous pubs in Dublin and he told me this was the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back