What clubs have ye thumpsters played for? (1 Viewer)

Soccer:
Boyne Rovers
Drogheda Boys (Briefly)
Premier Rovers
Finished up about aged 16, getting to play in United park when i was 12 was a highlight at the time...

GAA
Newtown Blues aged 8-19
won 2 championship medal and 2 runners up

Rugby
Drogheda then became Boyne RFC
From U-12 to U20's played a few games with Senior too.
never won jack, Leinster semi finals U20's. Got asked to go for Leinster underage trials twice and busted myself real bead a month before both

haven't played anything since i was 21 really, as said before too much boozing and punk/mad out of it dancing. played tag rugby with a work team once two years ago for the laugh, accidently broke a fellas nose, nasty, never hurt anyone before, felt really bad.

Football:

1 match for Kings Hospital first 11 when I was in 6th year and all the transition year guys who were good at football were away on a Geography trip.

Rugby:

Same school, never played a first XV match.
A few matches for Trinity u-19 seconds before I decided that alomost everone at the club was a prick and that I didn't want to spend time with them.

Judo:

Trinity, won 2 intervarsity team bronzes which was a pretty good accievment considering we only ever had one black belt in the team and the two teams that beat us were at least 80% black belts.

we used to always get called culchies when we played rough Limerick clubs like Trevs...although they probably had a point, as there was cow dung on the pitch on more than one occassion

we were the cultured footballers, having to get out of bed at 8am on a saturday/sunday morning to travel all the way out to the countryside to play gaa muck savages (like you!) who still thought they were playign Gaa when they scurried onto the field of play. i think you'll find the rough clubs were you culchies! :)

my cultured feet are a tad sore today. :)

Rangers (DDSL)
Crumlin Utd (DDSL)
Spartak Dynamo (LSL)
Rathfarnham Punters (LSL)

Best team I've played in was Collingwood Cup DIT side. Some amazing young players from top amateur football.

I now coach Albion Rovers youth side and am considered a "legend" by the locals

none of this is true but its a nice story

going to see albion rovers next week against arbroath, i might see you there so........

i know you dont coach them so i wont see you there, but i genuinely am going to see them..

my glittering career involved 6 years with Carrigaline United U8s to U14s. i won 4 Cork City Cups, but never the league. It was the magic of the cup which it did it for us (very Aston Villa-esque). I gave it all up for a career on the tennis court.

Jaysus, ye lot seemed to have played with loads of teams during ye're youth, talk about bed hopping of sorts!

Only ever played for two;
Douglas Hall
and College Corinthians, was captain u14-u17 before leaving to concentrate on studies.. what a mistake that was, I found it hard getting back to playing after that.

Actually Id be interested to hear if any of ye took prolonged breaks (few years) between playing club football, and if ye found it tough getting back to it, not just fitness, thats the easier part, I mean just did ye find ye had lost a lot of touch, and reading for the game?

Actually Id be interested to hear if any of ye took prolonged breaks (few years) between playing club football, and if ye found it tough getting back to it, not just fitness, thats the easier part, I mean just did ye find ye had lost a lot of touch, and reading for the game?

Unbelievably so. I stopped at U17s in the top Dublin Schoolboy league playing in midfield and went back to a local club around 2 years later having not played and rarely even watched football on the telly. I was a shambles. The club I'm at now is LSL Sun Prem 1, far lower than the standard the bulk of my team mates at under age are playing now but I'm only average at best in the current league. I'm 24 now and after playing for 5 consecutive years I reckon I'm only now getting back the football cop on I had aged 17. It's very hard to gauge but I reckon I'll never be as good.

The only way to take a long break and come back I'd say would be to constantly keep watching the game and analysing as you would if you were playing. I'd say this is how guys come back from long term injuries in decent shape.

Unbelievably so. I stopped at U17s in the top Dublin Schoolboy league playing in midfield and went back to a local club around 2 years later having not played and rarely even watched football on the telly. I was a shambles. The club I'm at now is LSL Sun Prem 1, far lower than the standard the bulk of my team mates at under age are playing now but I'm only average at best in the current league. I'm 24 now and after playing for 5 consecutive years I reckon I'm only now getting back the football cop on I had aged 17. It's very hard to gauge but I reckon I'll never be as good.

The only way to take a long break and come back I'd say would be to constantly keep watching the game and analysing as you would if you were playing. I'd say this is how guys come back from long term injuries in decent shape.

Yeah I see what you mean, I think maybe your touch and skill may come back with practice, but I always prided myself on being able to read the game, I was never a flashy player, more of a hard working defensive midfielder and later a right back. I started playing a bit in college a few years ago, but found my reading of play and decision making was just appalling. I then tore my hamstring pretty badly which still gives trouble.

But yeah, its kind of annoying to think had you not given up you would probably be playing at a higher standard now, as you said most of your old team mates have moved on, and there's nothing to suggest you wouldnt have also.

Yeah its my local team. Played nearly every Verona mini leagues while I was younger too!

i live in coolmine myself...went training with St. Mochtas once but they were dicks. could never find out when verona trained.

i like the new astro set up beside it...do verona part own the astro park or does the whole thing belong to the pool ?

Played out there once, about two years ago. Do you have a team in Sat LSL? Think they are or were in our second teams league.
Really nice set up you guys have.

we have a team in the saturday league..who do you play for ?

the setup is pretty good (heated floors in the changing room anyone)

RED(tape)MENACE played with them before I did but hasnt played in a while.

i live in coolmine myself...went training with St. Mochtas once but they were dicks. could never find out when verona trained.

i like the new astro set up beside it...do verona part own the astro park or does the whole thing belong to the pool ?

The pool just owns it as far as I know

we have a team in the saturday league..who do you play for ?

the setup is pretty good (heated floors in the changing room anyone)

RED(tape)MENACE played with them before I did but hasnt played in a while.

Rathfarnham Punters LSL Sun Prem 1

The sat team had a big chap up front about 30 that banged in a load of goals that season as i remember...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back