Volver - Almodovar (1 Viewer)

I quite liked Bad Education, but didn't really like All About My Mother.
If by misogynist you actually mean "the opposite of misogynist" then yes. His films almost always feature strong, self-assured female characters, not to mention homosexuals, transsexuals and various other -sexuals, almost always portrayed if not in a sympathetic then certainly a very human, inclusive light, as opposed to freaks, outsiders &c.

Anyway, yeah, looking forward to.

If by misogynist you actually mean "the opposite of misogynist" then yes. His films almost always feature strong, self-assured female characters, not to mention homosexuals, transsexuals and various other -sexuals, almost always portrayed if not in a sympathetic then certainly a very human, inclusive light, as opposed to freaks, outsiders &c.

Toadally - this is especially true of All About My Mother, my all-time favouritest Almodovar film.

Maybe I need to watch it again. I don't even remember what bothered me about it the first time 'round. Something trivial no doubt.

*scribbles entry on to-do list

well i think i remember finding some scenes in "kika" a bit anti-woman.
and i read an interview with him where he said he liked to humiliate his female characters. this was years ago now mind so mebbe he's changed his tune.

anyone find almodovar overrated and misogynistic? (did i spell that right? I'm tryin to impress!) and why are all his films subtitled?

The films are in Spanish and these aren't kids movies = viewers can read..that's why ;)

Subtitles = good, overdubbing always loses something essential from the movie.

Bad Education is one of my favourite Almodovar films :eek:

anyone find almodovar overrated and misogynistic? (did i spell that right? I'm tryin to impress!) and why are all his films subtitled?

Overrated? ... Never!
Misogynistic? ... Blasphemy!

There's something so heartwarming/wrenching, sympathetic, mad and honest about his stories and I :heart: :heart: :heart: the look and the style of his fillums.

So there. :p

The films are in Spanish and these aren't kids movies = viewers can read..that's why ;)

Subtitles = good, overdubbing always loses something essential from the movie.
:eek:

Not all viewers can read. Of those who can, some read slowly.

I think you miss out a lot of the visuals when having to read a film as opposed to watching it. Quality will out though.

The main reason why dubbed movies are shite is because the actors don’t have a grasp for the part and are just voicing by rote. It’s a pity they can’t get good actors to over-dub. And the sound always seems like it’s just dumped on top of the soundtrack.

I prefer reading the movie myself though, as I like the original sound, not the crappy and lazy studio sonics of most over-dubs.

Hungarians usually watch English speaking movies dubbed. A friend of mine was surprised to hear Tom Cruise’s real voice, thinking him a bit “girly”.

The ideal for me would be to read the movie, then watch it again with the English soundtrack on.

Still, Almodovar. Gas.

there was an interesting programme on rté radio 1 all about sound and audio on tuesday evening. amongst other subjects, dubbing was covered. in italy, the same voice talent dubbed both al pacino's and robert de niro's voices for years. until heat came out, which fucked up everything... they had to use a different voice for one of them, which apparently really threw a lot of italian cinemagoers.

Its just that the rhythm and many other stylistic attributes are very different in different languages. And it's never just a component of the movie, in the case of Almodovar I'd argue it's even plays even more instrumental part than in most movies. Like dubbing Shameless into French, imagine that........

Its just that the rhythm and many other stylistic attributes are very different in different languages. And it's never just a component of the movie, in the case of Almodovar I'd argue it's even plays even more instrumental part than in most movies. Like dubbing Shameless into French, imagine that........

Meh, so some stuff is lost in translation. What's the alternative?

What's really great is when you speak the original language - you can totally ruin the film for everyone else by droning on about all the stuff they've left out of the subtitles. Sure you'll get fucked out of the room, but the ten minutes prior to that will be really sweet.

I went to see Bad Education with someone who speaks Spanish.
There was very nearly a Cheney-type accident involving someone being "accidentally" shot in the face about 15 minutes in
fuck sake. You don't see me correcting Hans' grammar in Die Hard, do you?

No but you did correct my translation of ICUH8N so, whatever.

I think I'm gay for Corey's burd.

I never!
Your crush would fade as soon as you tried to sit through a movie with her. It can't be done.
Corey, she's not reading this, is she?
I've said too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back