Violence at Dublin protest (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 51
  • Views 5K
  • Watchers 2
no offence meant pete - well not to you - just certain cynical student types seem to hang out here and never have agood word to say about anything - just like the punk forums i guess

.|..| :D

actually, as many threads, not least so the "work" thread will attest to, most people here work in i.t. and aren't students. so will peole please stop bashing students.:confused:

I hear that police who were over-the-top will be punished (don't know how severely). At least it's an issue high enough on the agenda in the election*

*Whatever that's worth....

Oh! I'm not a student... I've sold out... completely.... but I still maintain my right to talk shite...

not finished yet, got five more to go. sure if i was finished would i really be posting here? i think not. i'd be drunk.

Re: ..

Originally posted by help
jeezuz even for a pack of students you thumped ppl talk a lot of shite.

"Nothing was ever changed in this world by shouting and chanting and disrupting traffic for a few hours"

well hmm oh my where to start .. well for one thing RTS is a "street party" not a political party why not check out http://www.reclaimthestreets.net for some of the ideas behind it.
sure protesting isn't the most effective way to get your point across that's why yesterday wasnt a protest - the idea was to show people how the street can be so much more than a place to pass through on your way from A to B.

And for the ppl who said the turnout was 200 people ? thats shite the figure on indymedia is 1000 and the pigs said 400, so i guess it's somewhere in between..

Couldn't have said it better meself help.We have to do SOMETHING.I know it's not the best way to get the message across,but it'll do for now.Everyone at that march that was hit by a cop,was hit because the smelly shank of a cop thought that they were all 'student hippies'.You didn't see them hit any taxi drivers when they protested,did you?????

Sorry if i mislead anyone by saying 200-300,i was just going on the figure that someone qouted here(i think it was eg:p )
p.s i'm in toronto herv,i thought you knew me:(

To HELP

Hey Help,
just because someone has a different point of view about something than you does not mean they are being cynical. You know as well as I do that the RTS 'Party' (although well-intentioned) has changed nothing. The outcome is that a lot of people were injured and we should all be thankful that no-one was killed (and from what I heard about people being beaten on the heads with batons, this could have happened).
Everyone has the right to protest, but you should pick your fights a bit better. I took your advice and checked out that site and found this at the top of the page;

A direct action network for global and local social-ecological revolution(s) to transcend hierarchical and authoritarian society, (capitalism included), and still be home in time for tea.

I don't know how people planned to do this by disrupting traffic.

and they also had this gem;
The privatisation of public space in the form of the car continues the erosion of neighbourhood and community that defines the metropolis. Road schemes, business "parks", shopping developments - all add to the disintegration of community and the flattening of a locality.

Are they suggesting a world without cars? I'm no fan of cars but that is never going to happen. Now, I have twaddled on for long enough.
C'mon Help, give me your best shot!

Re: Re: RTS

Originally posted by Keeror
I reckon there could be a lot more done to make RTS accessible and acceptable to the public at large. I still believe there's a small but nasty Class War element to it. But the guards have now done more than they or the SWP ever could do to drive people away (no pun intended) - who wants to go to a party and have their head kicked in?

Yes indeed

Which of the following will get more people interested in Reclaim The Streets and, as a result, hopefully, make them into lefties like me?

Option 1
A genuine street party, with music, street performers, street football (or hurling - get the oul lads and culshies interested), free candy floss, swingboats and a carnival atmosphere. Child-friendly, adult-friendly, ignoring the inevitable police presence. Prepared to split up and clean up and go home at a pre-appointed time.

Option 2
Get the gardai to beat you up in public under the RTS banner

Eg,
option 1 obviously,but the vast majority who were there wanted that!It was,from what i've heard,a small group who were taunting the cops,and then,as usual,they lashed out at one and all.

The biggest problem facing the anti-capitalist movement at the moment is this rogue/militant element.They need to be marginalised.I seen a film recently about the summit of the americas protest in quebec last year.Afterwards,they had people giving speeches and answering questions.They had a woman who supported violence towards the cops and destruction of property.Her argument was this,that we should all be united and respect each others 'diversity of tactics'.

So if we're to think like that,we should support the US's right to bomb the shit out of Afghanistan.It's the same at every protest now.I was in Genoa last year and that was ten times worse,but it was still a 1-2% minority causing the trouble for everyone else.

In my opinion,whats needed is an umbrella group,which all peaceful protest groups can sign up to.The best thing to do then would be to say to the cops "Look,everyone in this group will be protesting peacefully,we guarantee it".Then we should need some way to identify them,like armbands or a specific colour etc...

Thats the only way i can think of to seperate the peaceful from the militant.Anybody?

hmmm. again, not having been at the march, my comments can be taken with a grain of salt, and i do think that nine's idea is interesting, but wearing specific colours/armbands is open to abuse, groups could easily be "infiltrated" so to speak.

furthermore, peaceful protest... is it really tolerated? you have an example of people being met by the police, and deciding to sit down in the street rather than go any further, as was described to me by several people that were at the march, and it was at this seemingly peaceful action that the gardai went mad.

I know that the wearing of colours or armbands isn't the best way to do it,i reckon there would be a lot of people out there that would feel like they were being labelled,but it would be for the right reasons,wouldn't it???
It would be very helpful aswell if the cops only hit people that were causing a real,physical threat.

Originally posted by nine
I know that the wearing of colours or armbands isn't the best way to do it,i reckon there would be a lot of people out there that would feel like they were being labelled,but it would be for the right reasons,wouldn't it???

sure, but i was just saying that it would be really easy to fit into a peaceful group and cause trouble under the guise of an armband. dig?

It would be very helpful aswell if the cops only hit people that were causing a real,physical threat.

or didn't hit anybody. and wore their numbers in future at events like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back