Vincent Browne show axed (1 Viewer)

maims bond

From The Irish Times:

RTÉ has decided to axe its Tonight with Vincent Browne programme after almost 11 years on air.
The programme is going as part of a revamp of RTÉ Radio 1's evening schedule, which will see a new arts programme hosted by Vincent Woods at 8pm and a new current affairs programme at 11pm.
Tonight with Vincent Browne built up a loyal following since it first went on air in September 1996. It was widely praised for its nightly re-enactments of the tribunals with actors Joe Taylor and Malcolm Douglas. It also provided a forum for Browne's particular take on politics and society.
Browne, a columnist with this newspaper, said he had anticipated that his programme would be dropped, but he was still disappointed.
Ironically, the announcement came on the day he signed a contract with publishers Random House to write a biography of Charles Haughey. "I had a good innings. I don't want to appear to be in mourning about it. I'm just going to move on," he said.
"I am grateful for the opportunity I have had to present it for 10 years. I thank RTÉ for that opportunity and also all those who worked with me on the programme, the participants and the listeners, many of whom made contact with me and gave encouragement."
Tonight with Vincent Browne has been slowly haemorrhaging listeners since it reached a peak of 51,000 in 2004. The latest Joint National Listenership Research (JNLR) figures for May reveal that it had 25,000 listeners.
An RTÉ spokeswoman said that declining listenership figures were a factor, as were continuing plans by Ana Leddy, head of RTÉ Radio 1, to change the schedule. She has already axed Rattlebag , Val Joyce's Late Date and John Kelly's Mystery Train .
"Listenership is always a factor. It's a changing, competitive market," the spokeswoman for RTÉ said.

This is very disheartening.:(

rapper.jpg

"axed what?"

I imagine it's got nothing at all to do with the new Fianna Fail dominated RTE. Nothing at all.

When's Bertie's Enabling Act being passed into law?

Sure, all his dissenters will have committed suicide by then, if he gets his wish.

Prick.

At least Vincent is in talks with Newstalk. Can't wait for that show.

Because it,s not the bbc where it's 100% funded by licence

I'm well aware of that, but ishouldn't its mandate be to provide "niche type" programming as well. Fair enough if they want to put in the fodder that pulls in loads of listeners during the day to appease advertisers etc, but Brown's show is hardly on at prime time hours for radio

Will miss tuning in to him; his kind are rarer and rarer.

Incidentally, his brother volunteered at a radio station I worked for, and is one hell of a nice dude.

the prospect of brown writing a book on haughey is interesting. apparantly he grew quite fond of the old crook in his later life and spent a bit of time with him out in wherejamacallit. should make for an good read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back