veggie wontons (1 Viewer)

carbide

i keep making these and thinking they'll be the most bestest things ever, but they're something short of deliciousness. i've tried marinated tofu and various pickled veggies from the oriental emporium as the filling (the cabbage is nice), and i've always fried them.

any ideas for fillings? boiled or fried?

This seems like a good time to make duncheeknifed put up the recipie for veggie dumplings. They have a yummy gingery crumbly tofu in the middle.
What kind of marintate do you use for yer tofu?
My favourite at the moment is soya sauce, a bit of veggie oyster sauce, garlic, a dribble of liquid smoke and some cajun spice stuff.
Yumyum pigs bum

o-dog's famous veggie dumplings

ingredients:
tofu (4 blocks)
sesame oil (a teaspoon or two)
garlic (3/4 to a full bulb)
dark soy sauce (splattering)
veg. oyster sauce (splattering)
gau choi (or chinese chives, fist full)
white pepper (medium sprinkle)
ginger (an inch or so)
salt (a little, to taste)
dumpling skins (oi oi oi)

preparation:
mince tofu. don't be afraid to get those hands in there and rip that shit apart. wrap tofu in a clean, dry teatowl. put teatowel in a wide bowl and place a small plate on top. stack heavey shit on top like big tins and shit. leave overnight. the teatowel will soak up loads of the water and leave you with a firmer mince.

defrost dumpling skins. best to let them defrost naturally or if you're in a rush and you forgot to leave them out then fuck them in a bowl full of freshly boiled water making sure the packaging is water-tight. do not use microwave to defrost.

chop the gau choi into little bits under a cm long or there abouts. mince/finely chop garlic. finely grate in the ginger. put minced tofu into bowl, add all the ingredients and mix like a mo fo.

as you can see the recipe i work from isn't exact so if you're unsure, add bits and then taste. loads of garlic and ginger are advised.

sprinkle a layer of flour on a clean, dry table. grab a skin and put a teaspoon of the mix in the centre. with a finger lightly brush some cornflour and water mixture in a 3/4 circle around the outer-edge of the skin facing you. gently fold the skin over connecting opposite edges as if to form a half-moon. but gently twist in with your thums to form a crescent dumpling shape and press the edges together. repeat 'till you've run out of skins or mixture.

cooking:
heat a flat bottomed frying pan to a medium-hot temperature with a layer of veg oil sufficient to cover the bottom. place dumplings in the oil and cook 'till the bottoms are browned (oooooh). pour in enough water to cover the bottom of the pan, cover pan with lid and turn down the heat to medium (you may need to use two rings if you haven't got gas). after all the water has boiled off uncover the pan and turn the heat back up to medium-hot and brown the bottoms again.

serve straight away. lovely when dipped in a simple chilli-soysauce.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back