Valentine's Day (2 Viewers)

Oh I don't know. There's nothing good about getting ripped off on flowers, cards and shitty restaurants. It is nice to take the opportunity to make an effort with each other. My girlfriend and I celebrated the day last Saturday. I cooked a nice meal and we drank champagne. What's wrong with that?

Precisely, nothing wrong with it. The fact that you did it last Saturday kinda goes to prove the point that you don't need a prescribed day to show affection.

what a load of bollox!

The only real suckers on Valentines day are the fella who think there girlfriends don't care about valentines "oh we're mega modern and liberal, we don't go in for that hallmark junk" "we don't need a special day to be romantic, I can buy her flowers any day (he never does)" etc, etc, etc...

5 months later when she loses her shit at you leaving your Radiohead t-shirt on the floor Sopranos boxet DVDs out all over the coffee table what she means is "you could've sprung for flowers you lousy shitting prick!"

A few years ago, when I first moved to Dublin but was still working in Carlow the then boyfriend sent me a huge arrangement of roses by Interflora. I was furious with him. It was about 3 feet tall and about 2 wide. Must have cost a fortune, we were living together and he was always broke. Anyway, struggled to get them onto the packed bus, had to travel the whole way with them on my knee and then had to carry them the 20 minute walk to the apartment.

The looks I was getting! And the number of furious slaps I saw being administered by girlfriends who just seconds earlier had been happily gazing at their single long-stemmed rose.

I made him promise never to do that to me again. He didn't keep that promise.

Edit: They were beautiful though, and secretly I was dead chuffed.

I made him promise never to do that to me again. He didn't keep that promise.

I would have killed him. Flowers at work, nice in theory but getting them home is a pain in the ass. Plus you get comments all day from people who then feel they can pry into your life. I know I sound cynical and grumpy but this 'holiday' drives me mad more so than Christmas.

Precisely, nothing wrong with it. The fact that you did it last Saturday kinda goes to prove the point that you don't need a prescribed day to show affection.

What maims said.

And anyway, yiz are kinda always sweet with each other, so it's not like you're doing anything to buy into the jacked up prices and everything. Using it as an excuse to cook a meal you might not otherwise have made, that's just a nice thing to do.

I know I sound cynical and grumpy but this 'holiday' drives me mad more so than Christmas.
It depends on what you make of it in both cases. It's not a simple choice of buying into the Hallmark bullshit or ignoring it all together. You can celebrate Valentines Day (or indeed Christmas) in whatever way you like.

I would have killed him. Flowers at work, nice in theory but getting them home is a pain in the ass. Plus you get comments all day from people who then feel they can pry into your life. I know I sound cynical and grumpy but this 'holiday' drives me mad more so than Christmas.

It was made worse by the fact that, for the first time in the 15 years they'd been together the husband of one of the other girls in the office had promised her flowers. Her eyes lit up with the huge arrangement of roses arrived and then she was all disappointed. And we all had to make a really big deal when the mixed bouquet her husband sent her finally arrived. I felt really crappy about it. I really wanted to kill him when I got home. But he'd a bath and a glass of wine waiting for me and was in the middle of cooking me dinner so I relented.

Actually, why did I break up with him again?

I made this crazy origami valentines card for my girlie the first year we were going out (this was partly because I had been reading up on origami and had an idea - it opened up to a big pop out heart made from her name, with a arrow through it) and since then have had to come up with (increasingly difficult) original cards ever since.. this year was the hardest yet, but I've just finished it and am actually now very chuffed and looking forward to giving it to her.
Just like I'm hoping she'll be looking forward to giving it to me after receiving it.

unfortunately for my bird, St Valentines Day is clashing
with Thor's Day this year, so St Valentine isn't getting
much of a look in.

ah_article_ah20040618a_pic1_en.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back