Usually not that into Hip Hop these days but... (2 Viewers)

Ommas Keith has a great track out with Mark Pritchard, a throw back to some miami bass good stuff. Its on Hyperdub, some Red Bull Music Academy hook-up.

The All-City stuff is awesome alright.

One problem I have with all the Bullion/Dorian Concept/Mike Slott jittery shit is that its becoming very formulaic and rushed. Not many folk dropping serious albums, just bangin' EPs and 12s. For a sound that was originally so fresh, its gonna get generic very fast unless people chill the beans a bit. I think these type of tracks work best when they're mixed up with a bit of everything else from dubstep to jazz to psych-rock.

Yes, but the Flying Lotus album is top notch imo.

It's interesting to me that hip-hop, which I viewed as being very conservative, is been shaken up a bit by this new abstract aesthetic. I guess Dilla has a lot to answer for.

This person does not like hip-hop, but that one does like hip-hop :confused:

Let all the non-musicians write a song about it and all the proper musicians write a song about it and release as a 7" :)

Sorry Ian, I didn't mean it like that. Different strokes/folks/jokes/yokes. I meant no disrespect, I thought we could have a little argumentative cajoling just to pass the time away as I've no work today. Anyway, I'm back after feeding the ducks (very theraputic) and felt the need to put any tensions to rest. I do not know your music and was making wild guitar generalisations. I thought Thumped could use a bit of a shake-up, Tuesday can often be very boring.

My point was that the use of samples is secondary to whether music is good or not. Sometimes people use samples in the most boring of ways, sometimes musicians use guitars in the most boring or ways. I suppose it comes down to how imaginative someone is when they make music in the first place. I don't have any alligence to sample-based music, i just think its wrong to rule something out completely. Its akin to saying something like "I don't like people that speak French". Some of favourite music is made on guitars, some of least favourite music is made on guitars. I think approaching musical types with any pre-concieved notions is a very bad thing though. The more diversity, the better. I also think the more interactive or open-minded someone is with equipment or technology, the better. Sure, sampling can be creatively retarded, but it can also be infinitely more interesting than someone plucking the same obvious 4 chords on a guitar, know what I mean?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back