using samples live - how much compression? (1 Viewer)

japeo

Since 2000
Website
www.theredneckmanifesto.com
what do yous think about compression when playing back samples live? in the past i have found that if you compress them sometimes they sound TOO compressed through a pa.. but too little and they don't have enough punch..

should you leave a fair bit of headroom? or get them to sound as good as a cd? but then if engineer adds compression you get SQUASH

it's something i've always just played by ear but would like to know if there is a hard and fast technique..

thanks

richie

Sorry richie, there's no hard and fast on this.
I guess the backing track for each song is at a different volume level? If so this makes using compression a bit more difficult.

Are you still using the MPC for all your samples?

my gut would say that if youre with an engineer(jimmy say) that knows the score, leave the samples clean and let them compress for the live situation.

however, id be more inclined to compress on my end and let the engineer know not to crush the samples too much. its more plug in and play that way. less to worry about for soundchecks.

im sure somebody with more knowhow will offer some better advice though!

Sorry richie, there's no hard and fast on this.
I guess the backing track for each song is at a different volume level? If so this makes using compression a bit more difficult.

Are you still using the MPC for all your samples?

ha i kind of figured, i'm using mpc triggering sp404 and shit.. the mpc usually sounds fine (great) but the 404 can sound a bit crappy and overcompressed sometimes.. i think it's converters are not exactly class a :rolleyes:

i wonder should i just not compress the shit going from the 404

thanks Alan

my gut would say that if youre with an engineer(jimmy say) that knows the score, leave the samples clean and let them compress for the live situation.

however, id be more inclined to compress on my end and let the engineer know not to crush the samples too much. its more plug in and play that way. less to worry about for soundchecks.

im sure somebody with more knowhow will offer some better advice though!

nice one g, i've got a few overseas gigs sans jimmy coming up so just getting set together for them at the minute

ive heard on a couple of forums that the sp555 has a cleaner output but i have no idea why thatd be. sure theyre both phono outs as well.

ha i kind of figured, i'm using mpc triggering sp404 and shit.. the mpc usually sounds fine (great) but the 404 can sound a bit crappy and overcompressed sometimes.. i think it's converters are not exactly class a :rolleyes:

i wonder should i just not compress the shit going from the 404

thanks Alan

It's tricky - I guess you're using the hardware so you can jam stuff out right?
My problem with using hardware was always that things never sounded as tight live i.e. like the records.
No amount of compression of level setting or eqing on my end could change this cos by using hardware you're basically putting yourself in the position you were in just as you start to mix something down in the studio.

It's a tough one because you have to forsake what's in your head for the flexibility you want to play live.

You should maybe look at switching over to a laptop with Ableton and an MPD controller. It would give you far more flexibility in controlling the actual sound.

It's tricky - I guess you're using the hardware so you can jam stuff out right?
My problem with using hardware was always that things never sounded as tight live i.e. like the records.
No amount of compression of level setting or eqing on my end could change this cos by using hardware you're basically putting yourself in the position you were in just as you start to mix something down in the studio.

It's a tough one because you have to forsake what's in your head for the flexibility you want to play live.

You should maybe look at switching over to a laptop with Ableton and an MPD controller. It would give you far more flexibility in controlling the actual sound.
WHAT>!?

sorry that was kind of a useless response. how exactly would it help him though?

firstly, itd automatically mean introducing 3 pieces of gear to the live set..
laptop, mpd, soundcard.

secondly, im pretty sure richie doesnt want a to worry about a laptop going nutz. much more likely to have problems than with hardware.

also, how is say, a sample that has been mixed or EQd or whatever already, be any different if its triggered through ableton or off a 404..?

sorry that was kind of a useless response. how exactly would it help him though?

firstly, itd automatically mean introducing 3 pieces of gear to the live set..
laptop, mpd, soundcard.

secondly, im pretty sure richie doesnt want a to worry about a laptop going nutz.

also, how is say, a sample that has been mixed or EQd or whatever already, be any different if its triggered through ableton or off a 404..?

Yeah but 3 very light pices of gear :)

Because it gives you way more flexibility in terms of level control, compression on individual or problematic sounds and just general sound shaping.

I'm guessing that the sounds in the machines are the original samples i.e. before they were eq'ed and compressed etc for the records.

oh man light gear.. how fucking awesome..

i'm sort of a luddite and like the idea it's all hardware on stage but when you keep getting stung with overweight fees on flights that shit ain't too much fun.. so for these gigs i'm stripping back and not bringing synths.. just gonna sample them which should give me some control over how they sound..

thanks for your help.. i will stick to splitting the difference with compression and hope for the best :eek:

are you using laptop and abelton live now alan? what about carrying that HUGE mixing desk around with you that wasn't fun no? :)

oh man light gear.. how fucking awesome..

i'm sort of a luddite and like the idea it's all hardware on stage but when you keep getting stung with overweight fees on flights that shit ain't too much fun.. so for these gigs i'm stripping back and not bringing synths.. just gonna sample them which should give me some control over how they sound..

thanks for your help.. i will stick to splitting the difference with compression and hope for the best :eek:

are you using laptop and abelton live now alan? what about carrying that HUGE mixing desk around with you that wasn't fun no? :)

Sort of.
Laptop with Ableton -> RME Hammerfall - 8 Outs -> Mackie 1604VLZ.
3 Old Boss pedals and 3 clip mics for drums.
It's a pretty compact setup (aside from the Mackie) and gives me WAY more flexibility than the hardware did.
Still uses 14 channels on the mixer which gives huge control over everything.

Just slap the whole set onto one of these:
new-ipod-shuffle-lg.png

and sing along

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back