USB powered MIDI keyboard with Audio Out (1 Viewer)

pissypants

I'm looking for the most minimal way to use a laptop / keyboard setup on the move with Reason. The ideal device would be a 25 note midi keyboard, USB powered, that also acted as a soundcard output.

This comes close, but I don't really need all the knobs. Or the audio inputs. Or any of the rest. Or to pay that much.

Just midi in via USB to Reason and a headphone output. And as cheap as fuck. Do I even need a "proper" audio out in order not to be killed by latency?

Any ideas?

I'd suggest the yoke you linked to. Can't see you getting much any cheaper than the 90 euro they are on thomann.

Although, this yoke looks pretty damn minimal.

Yeah I saw both of those on my searches. Neither acts as a souncard too though. :(
Want to avoid the latency of my on-board soundcard.

Yeah I saw both of those on my searches. Neither acts as a souncard too though. :(
Want to avoid the latency of my on-board soundcard.

I was under the impression the m-audio yoke had direct monitoring so latency wouldn't be an isssue. Can't find where it says that now though, maybe somebody else knows the score?

I have an M-Audio Ozone which is much the same as the Oxygen8 but has audio in and out, the direct monitoring on the ozone routes the audio in directly to the output, bypassing the computer. I think the latency issue is to do with how fast your computer can process Reason not a soundcard problem.

I think the latency issue is to do with how fast your computer can process Reason not a soundcard problem.

I use Protools / Reason with a DIGI01 with no latency issues.
However if I switch over to the onbord souncard of the same PC, latency is all over the shop. I've also found the same with a Tascam US-122 that I regularly I use with Cubase / Reason on a laptop. I don't know why this is the case, but this is what I've found.

Thanks for all the suggestions, but I've seen all these products and they're all too full featured (and expensive!) for what I'm looking for.

Staytuned corkproducer - even pissierpants avatar may be on the way soon...

I'm looking for the most minimal way to use a laptop / keyboard setup on the move with Reason. The ideal device would be a 25 note midi keyboard, USB powered, that also acted as a soundcard output.

This comes close, but I don't really need all the knobs. Or the audio inputs. Or any of the rest. Or to pay that much.

Just midi in via USB to Reason and a headphone output. And as cheap as fuck. Do I even need a "proper" audio out in order not to be killed by latency?

Any ideas?

i have that oxygen 8. its really cool. only 80 quid. prob get a second hand one for nottin. once you start messin with all the knobs (hehe) you'll wonder why you ever dismissed them.

I ordered a usb to midi cable off thomann more than two months ago. Its still not here. It was 20 euro dearer than the price in Music Maker, but they said it'd take them a few weeks to order it in. God its only a cable!!! get it together gize!!

In the end I used a voucher that I got for Christams and got one of these from Waltons.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MAudioOzone-main.html

But guess what kids, it's not USB powered.
Having looked at it on the website I hadn't seen any explicit reference to USB power so I was a bit dubious and I asked the guys in the shop - 2 guys confirmed that it was USB powered.

After getting it home and scratching my head for a while I hit a few forums, and confirmed that no, it isn't USB powered.

I got back on to Waltons and I'm going to switch it out for the Oxegen8 Vs2 and an M-Audio Transit.

External low-latency sound cards are pricey enough. You can get midi only keyboards for under 100 but add decent audio in/out to the device and you will end up paying double or triple that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back