USB 2.0 Audio I / O Interface - monitoring latency issues... (1 Viewer)

Cryptid

Offline for a few weeks - I needs to get some work
Website
thecrocodilequarter.tumblr.com
I have a Zoom H4n. I tried using it yesterday as a USB Audio I / O interface with the PC and I found the monitoring latency to be pretty noticeable and intolerable. I reduced the latency a bit by making the playback signal come through my pc, as opposed to coming back down the USB cable. It was still noticeably delayed though.

Anyone else have this problem with the H4n?

Does this apply to all USB 2.0 Audio I / O devices? (e.g. an MBox).

When I use the H4n as a recording device on it's own it's fine in terms of monitoring.

Oh yeah, my PC has an AMD processor. I think maybe the Zooms are designed to work with Intel machines. It might be that..?

Tanks for reading.

What he said.Otherwise the best you can hope to achieve is a latency of 48 samples if you install asio4all.More likely you'll have to settle for a higher latency..machine dependant.

Is there a direct monitoring option on the zoom?

Yes, when you're recording directly onto the H4n but I haven't noticed a direct monitoring option when using it as an interface. I might have a look in the manual. I had an m-audio usb mbox-type-thing years ago and that had direct monitoring. With this there's no options once one plugs it into the PC, just a volume level meter reading.

Thanks.

What he said.Otherwise the best you can hope to achieve is a latency of 48 samples if you install asio4all.More likely you'll have to settle for a higher latency..machine dependant.

Thanks, i'll have a look at asio4all. How long is 48 samples? Does that depend on the bitrate..?

Ultimately it's no biggie really as I'm going to get the soundcard up and running on the PC in a month or so.

48 samples is barely noticeable,although MilanPan!c; would prolly notice. asio4all is great get it!

I'd still use asio4all rather than the proprietary drivers you have

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back