• Replies 27
  • Views 3K
  • Watchers 2

hugh

Contributor
Since 2000
Solutions
Hey,

I need some advice. I got an m-audio USB keyboard and a MacBook (intel osx). What's good synth emulation software to get? Basically I want something that's a step up from GarageBand. Good range of different sounds available. Simple idiot-proof interface. Is there something obvious out there I should use? I don't want to have to she'll out lots of cash but don't mind paying if it's like 20 quid or something ......

I also don't want to just plug the thing into a DAW like Reaper as that seems like way too much hassle .....

Any ideas?

You are seriously handicapping your choice by looking for a standalone..and getting an Audio Units synth to run in Reaper is a matter of a few mouseclicks

Though actually Hugh if you're dead set on "no DAW" you should try downloading syntorial - it's a synth tutorial thing that has a standalone synth included. Full thing is paid, but the demo version works fine. I just downloaded it last week cos I wanna learn how to make modern pop music

If you're already working in Garageband, stick with it and just grab an AU synth from the app store.

Garageband being a DAW, and all.

That looks pretty cool in that I can use it as a standalone program or plug it into Reaper or something .... might be just the ticket. I need something with tons of preset sounds as I dont have a bog about how to actually construct sounds. But, if I can just flick through loads of them until I find something that roughly approximates what I'm after that's grand

I've no idea how many presets it has. 11 qid though? cant go too far wrong.

...that said, the synths aint too bad in Garage Band with a wee bit of tweaking. Some nicer synths, samplers, drum machines, dynamics processors and effects in Logic, but ye pay for it, and would be just as confusing as Reaper for free.

hugh, what kind of synths are you looking for? There's so many out there for free. Leghitimately free, not pirated. Google is your friend.

http://www.kvraudio.com/
also look at the forums at reaper.fm

I'm not really sure what I am looking for. I suppose that's the problem. For now, something with a pretty wide array of standard keyboard sounds that comes all in one package and is easy to navigate around.

Stumbled across that site before but my head was wrecked in about two minutes. Will give it another go.

I'd recommend the Korg Legacy pack. You can buy each synth individually for about 20 quid each from the Korg site now.
They're excellent, nice attention to detail on the sounds.
Polysix is the best.

That Korg stuff looks exactly like the sort of thing I am looking for. They are 50$ each though ..........

Ok so I took all your advice and booted up Reaper and am running everything through that now. Have the Kontact player, Synth1 and a really nice Piano VST I picked up all running on different tracks linked to different MIDI channels. Can switch from one to the other by switching MIDI channel on the keyboard. It's completely kick-ass .....

Cool. I'd like to join in on this action. Must get myself a midi keyboard as it's not likely I can afford a hardware synth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back