Ungdomshuset Evicted (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter W.
  • Start date
  • Replies 359
  • Views 42K
  • Watchers 15
Ah i dont know, i dont really have any money,rent had to be paid, and food is a bit expensive, so dont really have extra cash. didnt mean to twist your words, but where i come from should not matter. why should that come into the conversation?

Ah i dont know, i dont really have any money,rent had to be paid, and food is a bit expensive, so dont really have extra cash. didnt mean to twist your words, but where i come from should not matter. why should that come into the conversation?
it's at least as relevant as, say, horses.

i'm a girl shane
A girl?We're all queer-culture club crusties livin' the high life on the dole thanks to Bertie in here, lass.All the girls post on 1000111000 sub-forum.
Then again you said you grew up on the northside of Dublin and a lot of your neighbours grew up to be cops, so unless the kerry accent is bate into 'em in portlaoise maybe their both lies....

So whats the sceal on that ride then?:confused:

Wait, Shane, you actually believe not one guard comes from the northside of Dublin? em, thats a little strange, is that a myth?

In fairness I know of a few cops from the Northside and the Southside too for that matter.

Do you think people should be allowed stay on the dole their entire lives, should we as a community not try and put a stop to the dole in general, not because we dont want to help, but because we should work for a society that has no poverty, no need for hand outs and then we can focus on real problem areas like half the world who could really use dole money, we have full employment, there are plenty of jobs out there in Ireland, so could not we put this money to better use then it is being used for?

Actually, I think the new economic climate in Ireland should be used to increase and diversify social welfare: the payments should be increased and there should be more types of benefits for people in low-wage jobs or who are only partly employed.

The fact is, most of the people who collect the dole do so for a short time, and I think it would be misguided and wrong to just punish everyone just because a few people spend many years collecting it. Pulling out the safety net might send a few of these people to work, but it will also do more damage to the majority of unemployed, who are collecting the dole because they're having trouble finding a job that suits their skill level or whatever other needs they might have, and that's between them and the social welfare office. It's not like people on the dole are living it up. Sure, there are examples of people who work the system, but they are the extreme minority.

If you look at the American example, there are a lot of people who, rather than being long-term dole beneficiaries with roofs over their heads, are homeless or effectively homeless, and they are worse off than they would be if they were able to remain housed and with some social welfare. And even economically, for the government, this makes no sense: it costs more money simply to manage the homelessness problem than it does to pay out dole money. It's a lot harder to become homelss here, although that doesn't mean it's automatically easier to make enough money to live comfortably. Or that the jobs that are available suit the people who are jobless. It's easier to get someone to move from the social welfare system into the labour force than it is to move them from the streets into gainful employment.

I remember working in the early 1990s with the sheer terror of losing my job. We were absolutely nowhere near the economic trouble of Ireland at the same time, but the fact was, most of us on low-wage, low-skill jobs were one or two steps away from being on the street.

In fact, there are programmes (and I don't know enough about them to comment in detail) in the US where they are actually housing homeless people because they've realised that such a safety net is of the utmost important in helping people get out of poverty. It's better for the people, and also cheaper for the government.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back