Tune Yards (1 Viewer)

Jim Daniels

Burls Forever
Supporter
Since 2000
Website
twitter.com
Whats the craic with this one? It's getting reviewed off the map
Is it really the Dirty Projectors on the sly?

I think I like it, but am not sure. What's with female vocalists singing like men?
Playing Whelans soon...

Streaming on the Guardian site for the past week
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2011/apr/11/tune-yards-whokill-album-stream

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2011/apr/11/tune-yards-whokill-album-stream
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

She's deadly live, she does all crazy yodelling stuff and samples it and plays over it and it's all very impressive if you're easily impressed like me. I suppose it's hardly an original idea but she does it very well and her voice is pretty phenomenal.

Her first album could never live up to her live show because it's hard to be impressed by loops when they're just on record plus maybe the songs weren't actually good enough to stand up on their own.

So all in all she was more impressive live than on record around then. What's the new album like?

Is it really the Dirty Projectors on the sly?

huh? what gave you that idea? Just because she supported them for a while?

Someone tell me if the new album is good please.

huh? what gave you that idea? Just because she supported them for a while?

This kind of reminds me of them. Kind of. The rythym more so than the vocals.

Heard she is great live alright...

She seems to have a band (of hopeless-looking nerds) now which kind of defeats the purpose?
First time I saw her she was completely on her own.

But, eh, onwards and upwards I guess.

It's all the same seam of musical nonsense loads of bands like animal collective have been mining in one way or another for years, and sure why not.

They ARE hopeless looking nerds!

And I suppose, it doesn't really sound like the DPs at all. Not really sure if I could put up with too much of it to be honest.
Shouty!

She seems to have a band (of hopeless-looking nerds) now which kind of defeats the purpose?

It's all the same seam of musical nonsense loads of bands like animal collective have been mining in one way or another for years, and sure why not.

actually really like this

Her first album could never live up to her live show because it's hard to be impressed by loops when they're just on record plus maybe the songs weren't actually good enough to stand up on their own.

These days I'd prefer a band. The novelty of a Loopstation has worn off, now its just tedious when you have to watch somebody onstage building loops.

I like her though, some of it reminds of me Fiery Furnaces loony rock & roll.

TUNE-YARDS

announce new album

I CAN FEEL YOU CREEP
INTO MY PRIVATE LIFE

out 19 January 2018
on 4AD

LISTEN TO NEW SONG
LOOK AT YOUR HANDS
HERE

Tune-Yards’ magnum opus will arrive on 19th January in the form of new album I can feel you creep into my private life. Thematically, the 12 new songs tackle race, politics, intersectional feminism and environmental prophecies head on. But in the billows of intense subject matter, the album arrives as Tune-Yards’ most immediate and upbeat music yet - this is Tune-Yards’ music to dance to.

Today, Tune-Yards reveals the new song ‘Look at Your Hands’. Bandleader Merrill Garbus had this to say about the song: “Yes, the world is a mess, but I've been attempting to look more and more inward: how do all of these "isms" that we live in manifest in me, in my daily activities, interactions? Some of the '80s throwback production came from wanting the vocals to sound robotic, maybe to counter the sincerity of the lyrics. I started sampling my vocals in an MPC which I've wanted to do for years, and there was something that felt really right about my voice being trapped in a machine.”

On I can feel you creep into my private life, Tune-Yards is officially a duo. Garbus is joined by long-time collaborator Nate Brenner who produced and wrote the album together with lyrics by Garbus. Tune-Yards worked with a mixer Mikaelin “Blue” Bluespruce (Solange, Kendrick Lamar). Much of the album was recorded at Tiny Telephone Oakland, in Oakland, CA and mastered in Harlem, NY by Dave Kutch (Jay-Z, Chance the Rapper).

Tune-Yard’s previous album 2014 Nikki Nack was one of the most well received of that year, and since its release there have been high-profile collaborations with legendary musicians David Byrne, Laurie Anderson and Yoko Ono, as well as penning the standout track, ‘Action,’ from Mavis Staples’ 2016 Livin’ on a High Note album.

Tune-Yards has confirmed a North American headline tour beginning on 15th February, 2018, including shows at Oakland’s Fox Theater and concluding at NYC’s Brooklyn Steel. This November and December, they will preview material from this record in a series of seven intimate shows on the east and west coasts. A limited ticket presale is currently underway, with all shows going on sale to the public this Friday, October 20. Please visit tuneyards.com for more information.

I can feel you creep into my private life is available for pre-order from the Tune-Yards official store, 4AD store and iTunes. Pre-orders from the Tune-Yards store and iTunes include an instant grat download of ‘Look at Your Hands’.

I can feel you creep into my private life Tracklist:
1. Heart Attack
2. Coast to Coast
3. ABC 123
4. Now as Then
5. Honesty
6. Colonizer
7. Look at Your Hands
8. Home
9. Hammer
10. Who Are You
11. Private Life
12. Free

Pre-order I can feel you creep into my private life from
I can feel you creep into my private life -

looking at the touring schedule it's likely she won't make it here til next summer. Which means some shitty festival will snap her up.

though she did say she hates playing festivals (bar that one appearance on the body and soul stage at EP, which she said she loved),so who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back