Tour de France 2007 thread (2 Viewers)

Wiggins as recently as 2017 was allegedly worth 13 million.

- Brad's Australian track cyclist father Gary left him and mother in infancy and Gary eventually died in unsolved circumstances. Wiggins saw little of his Australian family and didn't get to his father's funeral.
- Brad was sexually abused as a young teen by a cycling coach. There must be huge issues there.
- until Wiggins was 29 despite having a huge track career he achieved very little on the road. A few time trial wins and high finishes in Tour de France TTs was all he had to show.
Brad talked a good fight against doping in those days.
But then suddenly in 2009 he rode much better in mountains in Giro and suddenly finished 4th overall in the Tour.
- Over the next years Wiggins had huge success but radically changed his demeanour. Very knee jerk defensive on doping questions. Becomes extremely arrogant.
- After retirement Brad does lots of media work and sets up a development team called Wiggins.
- Then by circa 2022 Wiggins team folded, Brad says he is an abuse survivor who hasn't gotten counseling, the arrogant extrovert thing was just an act, he has completely lost interest in cycling....
- more recently the bankruptcy became known.
After 2008 Olympics at height of his track success. I read a cycling magazine interview where Wiggins said he was struggling financially. So mishandling his money probably wasn't a new problem??

Whatever he was involved in the past I hope Wiggins has peace of mind again eventually. It won't be easy.

old news but...
when Kloeden beat everyones time in the prologue by ten seconds ( more at that point )
I found it difficult to credit, then Cancellara wins by an additional 13 seconds - what are you supposed to think? I've never seen a prologue won by such a margin and 23 seconds back to third place is incredible.
Bradley Wiggins rode near as well as could but was beaten by that margin he did everything he could except put a syringe in his arm.
Cancellara works with Cecchini who was the doctor of Basso , Ullrich and Hamilton and Kloeden complained about having to sign the anti doping charter and left T-MOBILE because he was part of the Ullrich clique which also included his pal Kessler.
My take on Wiggins at time of 2007 Tour de France.
Post #34 on this thread 10 July 2007.

Wiggins as recently as 2017 was allegedly worth 13 million.

- Brad's Australian track cyclist father Gary left him and mother in infancy and Gary eventually died in unsolved circumstances. Wiggins saw little of his Australian family and didn't get to his father's funeral.
- Brad was sexually abused as a young teen by a cycling coach. There must be huge issues there.
- until Wiggins was 29 despite having a huge track career he achieved very little on the road. A few time trial wins and high finishes in Tour de France TTs was all he had to show.
Brad talked a good fight against doping in those days.
But then suddenly in 2009 he rode much better in mountains in Giro and suddenly finished 4th overall in the Tour.
- Over the next years Wiggins had huge success but radically changed his demeanour. Very knee jerk defensive on doping questions. Becomes extremely arrogant.
- After retirement Brad does lots of media work and sets up a development team called Wiggins.
- Then by circa 2022 Wiggins team folded, Brad says he is an abuse survivor who hasn't gotten counseling, the arrogant extrovert thing was just an act, he has completely lost interest in cycling....
- more recently the bankruptcy became known.
After 2008 Olympics at height of his track success. I read a cycling magazine interview where Wiggins said he was struggling financially. So mishandling his money probably wasn't a new problem??

Whatever he was involved in the past I hope Wiggins has peace of mind again eventually. It won't be easy.
Wiggin's 4th place was with with Jonathan Vaughter's team. Whatever they were called back then. Garmin-Chipotle maybe. Or maybe it was even before that. Vaughters famously had one of the smallest budgets for a ProTour team. He once made a claim to the effect that, the 10th highest paid rider on Sky was earning as much as his highest paid. They talked a good game when it came to doping. They signed up for Bike-Pure and some other scheme where they shared the results of their riders' drugs tests.

Everything about the team seemed too good to be true.

Then came 2009 and 2012. Wiggins taking 4th in the Tour, and Ryder Hesjedal winning the Giro d'Italia.

Hesjedal is a self-confessed doper.

Wiggins boasted in his autobiography of turning out power thats not humanly possible without PEDs, and was widely believed to be goading the authorities.

Its also believes that the famous jiffy bag that they tried to hang Emma Poole out to dry, with, was meant for him.

Agreed, the abuse stuff is awful and must have taken a toll. But the guy was clearly a cheat and brought nothing to the sport.

I'd predict both to take a stage. There are 8 sprint stages, so hopefully a few for Sam.
Sam will have a hard time winning a stage - no important sprinters at 4 Days of Dunkirk (lasts 6 days) where he won GC, 4 stages and very close 2nd and 3rd on other stages. Not far off a stage win on Dauphine but there wasn't much for sprinters there.
I am just glad he will be back at the Tour after 4 years away. Who would have predicted that in 2020?

Healy has every chance of a breakaway stage win.

Wiggins was very obviously doped heavily and certainly from 2009 onwards. I just wanted to fill in his personal story. Wiggo was actually likeable in his 20's.
He sadly totally bought into his own hype.

RE Vaughters teams:
Was it Ryder Hejsedal bike started doing doughnuts on the ground when he fell off in the Vuelta? He got away with that too.
Alison Jackson wheel kept spinning for ages after she hit the deck in a race last year and she had to stop it with her hand as it was very obvious.
Posted that here.

watched very little cycling this year especially Tour de Suisse.
women's Giro must be on soon?

EDIT: fixed about 5 typos

Sam will have a hard time winning a stage - no important sprinters at 4 Days of Dunkirk (lasts 6 days) where he won GC, 4 stages and very close 2nd and 3rd on other stages. Not far off a stage win on Dauphine but there wasn't much for sprinters there.
I am just glad he will be back at the Tour after 4 years away. Who would have predicted that in 2020?

Healy has every chance of a breakaway stage win.

Wiggins was very obviously doped heavily and certainly from 2009 onwards. I just wanted to fill in his personal story. Wiggo was actually likeable in his 20's.
He sadly totally bought into his own hype.

RE Vaughters teams:
Was it Ryder Hejsedal bike started doing doughnuts on the ground when he fell off in the Vuelta? He got away with that too.
Alison Jackson wheel kept spinning for ages after she hit the deck in a race last year and she had to stop it with her hand as it was very obvious.
Posted that here.

watched very little cycling this year especially Tour de Suisse.
women's Giro must be on soon?

EDIT: fixed about 5 typos

Roubaix winner Alison Jackson (EF) crashed in Tour de France Femmes today with over 50 km left.
When her bike was on the ground the back wheel was still spinning around and she had to stop it with her foot.

The commissars need to be ready to check the EF bikes at the finish.
19 km left now - let's see what happens...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back