Touch&Go 25th Anniversary (4 Viewers)

Did you see Uzeda? Anyone hear there new album? I have it ordered...

Hey, Jimmy my boy, got a story for you....only kidding. No, actually, mmmm

TELL US ABOUT SCRATCH ACID!!!

TELL US ABOUT SCRATCH ACID!!!

they were rather splendid

sally timms of the mekons was talking about yow during her set saying his penis would be along any minute now, that he'd taken it out of it's dusty jar specially for the occasion

me likey sally, sally good fun

scratch acid themselves were pure daycent live it has to be said, think they're playing seattle and l.a. too this week, timo, get on the case and get 'em over!!!!!!

Just back from T&G 25th, cant stop talking about how great this was, totally incredible 3 days.
here goes... (beware, my opinion only ---- everyones different)

Friday: From the very first queue to get wristbands you could tell there would be a great atmosphere here, everything was happening at a really slow & chilled pace. But the stages themselves were up and ready and the festival kicked off just after 5.

The Shipping News: Always great to start with a great band, they played a fantastic set and gave away a free single! Bonus. Lotta people mentioned this as one of their highlights.
Supersystem: Totally fun dance-punk, wouldn’t rate them as highly as LCD Soundsystem, but enjoyable anyway
Girls against boys: Didn’t like these much, a bit boring methinks
Ted Leo: Popular with the locals, don’t know why…..
!!! : No so popular with the locals… Some people liked them but too much funk going on there. Must say they were giving it everything on stage.

Saturday: Ok so we’re ready for the big day, its like xmas morning in the hostel. A lotta excitement and nervous tension

The New Year: One of the big surprises for me, this band are great, great way to kick off the day
Uzeda: A fantastic set, really great live band.
Pegboy: As they admitted themselves it was too early and they needed beer ….
Silkworm: Missed these to go exploring the hideout
The Ex: Great
Killdozer: Heard from a distance while getting food, as you see it’s a long day…Sounded ok though
Jon & Kat: Not into that weird folky stuff……read Jims thoughts instead….
Didjits: Much hyped reunion, lead singer was too annoying for me, music a bit dated..
PW Long: Still not 6 o clock, country rock set to calm things down
Negetive Approach: Fantastic.. Again ...Fantastic
Sally Timms: This girl has balls, its not easy filling the slot between N.A. and Scratch Acid…. 6999 people wanted her offstage, but Jim loved it!!!
Scratch Acid: AMAZING, sounded really great ,even though I think they might have only done 1 gig together just before this. We sent Jesper up the front, the report was good quality mosh. David Yow stayed decent. I did think he was vomiting into the crowd at one point but just my imagination… American crowd quite tall and I am just a short-ass so not the best view. David Wm Sims looked like he had been hanging out in the Home Depot down the street and someone swapped his hanging baskets for a bass and shoved him on stage, but he still wails!! Everyone loved this band. Havent seen the end of them I bet.
Man …. Or Astroman? One of lifes dilemmas, stay where you are for big black or pop over to the other stage to see M or A… They sounded too good so went over to have a look, good show, everyone was still coming down after Scratch Acid … and the impending …..
Big Black: Great, the highlight of the weekend, the sound was just out of this world, don’t know how they do it, it just sounds so different… Really amazing, 4 songs , Started with Cables, (this was the highlight for me, combination of the expectation, classic song and being totally blown away by the sound….), Dead Billy (big sing-a-long on this one) , Pigeon kill and Racer X. Albini finished the set by saying it sounded better in the eighties, and spelling out that this was a once off event out of respect for Corey and Touch and Go.
Shellac: Started off sounding a bit flat after Big Black, but once they got going this was a fantastic set, they played 30 minutes over , so nearly 1 and a half hours.

So by the end of Saturday, people were in bits, not easy standing on concrete for nearly 12 hours…. The average age was well into the high 30s on Saturday so a lot of painful expressions leaving the gig……

Sunday:
Arcwelder: thought today was a recovery day from Saturday, but oh no, kicked off with a great band.
Quasi: Really nice guitar pop, the numbers with keyboards were a bit too Flaming Lips territory though.
The monorchid: Suffering from effects from Saturday needed beer here…..
Enon: Really enjoyed this, great tunes
Rain stops play, pretty wet today so take a break in the hideout so miss Three mile pilot, and seam. Catch a bit of Tara Jane O’Neill but she scares me so go back to hideout.
Brick Layer Cake: Todd is a spacer, this confirms it….
Black Heart Procession : Didn’t like this too much, started well, then got a bit too country-weird for me.
CocoRosie: Hadn’t heard these before and they were fantastic, big crowd pleaser..
Pinback: Wasn’t expecting to like them much but loved them!!! Really likeable band live, still a few doubts about their albums
Calexico: A big party band to finish on, the crowds were already dispersing, it was pretty full-on for 3 days , and finished well with these.

So what made it the best weekend ever: Fantastic bands, brilliant sound, 2 stages that alternate so you can actually see everything and everyone is at the same gigs, no running off to far off tents, no sponsorship/endorsement of any kind, the nicest bunch of music fans that ever gathered in one place, no attitude, no poseurs, no trendy heads…. And of course the ‘birthday’ factor , it was just a big party atmosphere. Oh and free beer...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back