To Click Track Or Not To Click Track (1 Viewer)

I sometimes add the click afterwards...

(pauses for screaming)

Seriously though, if someone gives me a (for example) guitar and vocal recording and asks me to arrange orchestration or whatever around it, you need that grid.

In Cubase (and I'm sure most other sequencers), you can mark the start of each bar manually, thus giving you a grid. It's laborious, and might take an hour, but it really makes life a whole lot easier. Plus it's fun to see what a real "groove" looks like in bpm. Those numbers fly all over the shop!!

So yep, sometimes, record the audio and add the grid afterwards. Sometimes it's better. Sometimes I prefer the recording is done to a click.

Regards

Supernintendo Chalmers.

depends totally on the song and what you're going for.

for home demos, always use the click, just makes it so much easier to mess around with, "ooh, i think i'll nab the bass from the last verse and throw it there", blah.

for proper recording, if you know a song is going to have a ton of parts and fiddly mixing, then it's pretty vital, can save much hassle and heartache afterwards.

some songs benefit from loose timing and speeding up/slowing down, really depends what you're going for

i've never really experienced something sounding lifeless as a result of using a click though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back