To Click Track Or Not To Click Track (2 Viewers)

We've used click tracks a lot, but we're not using them on the next set of recordings. We've got some real benefit from using clicks, but I find with a click we often pay more attention to the click and less to each other. The next few songs we're recording don't depend as much on exact timing as some of our older stuff, we'll see how it goes

From messing around at home I've found the best approach to using a click is not to laboriously TRY to PUT each NOTE on each CLICK (which makes your performance sound dead), and not to drift along trying to vaguely stay in time (which means you don't actually stay in time at all), but to try to make the click sound good. It's damn hard to do, and requires pretty intense concentration but when you manage it it's great

i read an interview with one of pink floyd and he was talking about technical problems they used to have at gigs in the 70s. apparently they used to use click tracks so that they could play along to their flims and often the click track used get blasted out over the pa.

phil-spector.jpg

Just take Phils advice,who needs a click to get a perfect performance,a gun is far more effective

i have a click on my new tracks..

made in fruity loops, exported as wav, put on my ipod,
recorded into my 8track and then recorded the songs...

im now have the songs in pro tools sessions and i cant sync
up the clicks!!!

i have messed with the tempo for hours and get the first four beats in the next is just off and then by the eight its half step out..

tried with live too but that just rewires the same tempo thats off..

any ideas?..

i just cant get it right..

shaney said:
recording other people can be very tedious. if they dont get it in one or two takes i start getting very bad tempered.
Shaney, I actually couldn't imagine you being bad tempered.
The best I can envision is you offering them a slice of homemade cake with slightly less enthusiasm than usual.

I used to just record the riffs first with the "click" being my foot on the floor. It was always tricky to put the drums on afterwards. Now i'd put down a drum loop first and play along with that. Grand.
If a click kills your playing then you're just not used to it. or you're crap.

I used to just record the riffs first with the "click" being my foot on the floor. It was always tricky to put the drums on afterwards. Now i'd put down a drum loop first and play along with that. Grand.
If a click kills your playing then you're just not used to it. or you're crap.

:) so true. A drummer who can't play to a click isn't a drummer, he's just a guy who owns drums.
Seriously like, I can understand people finding playing to a metronome a little tricky but most clicks are drum machine beats. If you can't play in time to a beat - you seriously need to practice.
People constantly mistake sloppiness for 'feel' or 'groove' or whatever.

People constantly mistake sloppiness for 'feel' or 'groove' or whatever.

Not if your all collectively 'feeling' the 'groove' at the same time as a three piece or whatever. Thats not sloppy, thats just rockin'

Doing it on your own, playing all the parts separately. Now thats a different story.
And playing along to a BIP BIP BIP BIP "feels" to technical and therefore kills any emotion in the playing. Thats my biggest problem.

Not if your all collectively 'feeling' the 'groove' at the same time as a three piece or whatever. Thats not sloppy, thats just rockin'

Doing it on your own, playing all the parts separately. Now thats a different story.
And playing along to a BIP BIP BIP BIP "feels" to technical and therefore kills any emotion in the playing. Thats my biggest problem.

Groove can be quantified. It can even be scored.

Write a simple drum machine part.

when "I get into it" I can often float out of time
By "getting into it", I take it you mean getting off on what you're doing yourself so much you forget to pay attention to what's going on around you? Happens in Stoat occasionally, ISN'T THAT RIGHT FELLAS? And then when someone points it out he gets called a spoilsport

me too, and the guitar playing too

while it's not *right*, there is some sort of internal rhythm going on there

the drums in particular seem to be doing their own thing without any reference to what the others are doing. i reckon they must have recorded the guitars and vocals and then had yer wan over dub whatever banging she could manage

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back