Thurston Moore (Sonic Youth) & John Moloney (Sunburned Hand of Man) sat jan 19 (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter u:m
  • Start date
  • Replies 12
  • Views 1K
  • Watchers 3

u:m

u:mack
Presents
Thurston Moore (Sonic Youth) & John Moloney (Sunburned Hand of Man)
Saturday January 19
Whelans
Doors 7.30
Tickets €15 From www.tickets.ie/umack & Sound Cellar

u;mack begin 2013 with a special live collaboration between Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth and drummer John Moloney of Sunburned Hand Of Man. This concert will be pure improvisation, don't miss this opportunity to see one of the greatest guitarist of contemporary music let completely loose with an astounding drummer, it's going to be wild.

Check out this sample of the album they recorded together:
http://www.nme.com/nme-video/youtube/id/uwbwAns6HfM

THURSTON MOORE & JOHN MOLONEY: Caught On Tape LP (FTR 092LP) 15.50 And the blonde, as they say, shall lead the blind. Recorded at a variety of gigs during a tour of Europe in the spring of 2012, Caught On Tape documents an autodidact improv summit nearly without peer. Thurston Moore, the self-taught Connecticut guitarist for the Coachmen, Male Slut, Dapper, Wylde Ratttz, Dim Stars, Northampton Wools, Bark Haze, Pillow Wand, Diskaholics Anonymous, Society's Ills, The Dream Aktion Unit and several other combos, is in full unhinged blaze-mode here. His companion, notable son of the chowder mills, John Moloney (Sunburned, Shit Spangled Banner, Egg Eggs, etc.), rifles through his drum kit frantically, as though he was trying to destroy a rainbow with hammers. The blend is totally berserk. While neither of these gentlemen has dick in the way of formal musical training, they are both capable of producing stun-level blasts of pure-zonar energy, and the music on this LP is at times as tightly focused as Bill Clinton's most powerful penis rays. Full of murky surface moves, with a lot of fully weird subtext, Caught On Tape is a brilliant testament to the transformative power of the pure head-gush. Like a crude stone pyramid, teetering on the edge of an Anasazi cliff, this music is always on the verge of crushing your entire body like a grape. But in a good way. A very good way. The original tour edition of 113 copies sold out as fast as Kate Moss' last batch of used panties. Here's a chance to get a trade copy, with a lovely Raymond Pettibon cover. The future is yours for the asking. Just don't delay.

Zom are playing support at this now. tickets available on the doors
zom 8.15

tm & jm 9.15

Wait, was there songs at this? I had to miss it but I comforted myself with the idea that it was just going to be all improv noise bullshit, which would have been grand and all. But I like songs more.

Yes some songs, (some I assume from is new Chelsea Light Moving project) he was reading lyrics off sheets for a few. Also recited one of his poems from a zine he made specifically for his time in Ireland and sold at the gig. It had drawings of the Moore & Moloney crests in it. Also, good stage banter throughout the night. He was in good form.

There were a few Psychic Hearts tunes too. The noisy bits were well mixed with the tunes. If they had consulted me in advance I'd have advised them to lean a bit heavier towards the freeform stuff but it was deadly all anyway. Also, I was expecting the place to be horribly overcrowded but it was grand and comfortable. What an enjoyable night out!

Also, I was expecting the place to be horribly overcrowded but it was grand and comfortable. What an enjoyable night out!

I was thinking that too. Oddly good night out and I didn't complain once about a single person rudely bumping in to me, talking too loudly, tall people blocking my view, or the queues in the toilets. Perfect. It felt like the 90s, meaning I wasn't a grumpy old woman.

I was thinking that too. Oddly good night out and I didn't complain once about a single person rudely bumping in to me, talking too loudly, tall people blocking my view, or the queues in the toilets. Perfect. It felt like the 90s, meaning I wasn't a grumpy old woman.

I had a minor altercation with this lad who came and stood in front of me to shout into his phone. Myself and a friend shoo'd him away but instead of clearing off he stood there arguing with us and telling us he was trying to have a phone call and to chill out. Even that was enjoyable enough though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back