Thumped Kru Choonz. (1 Viewer)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Just having another listen to my old band's rough recordings-- I still like it. Shame we never got to mix it properly

Right, so I took 5 months to teach myself the principles of mixing, comp/eq all that shit. This is cooking on my monitors, less so on the crappy earbuds I'm listening to it on, but whaddayagonnado?

This is sounds good to me. Here's the thing though, and this is coming from me, turn up the singing. Nobody cares about one's ability to play chords.

This is sounds good to me. Here's the thing though, and this is coming from me, turn up the singing. Nobody cares about one's ability to play chords.

Cheers, I'll consider it for future mixes, have a bit of a complex about my voice. I actually reluctantly turned them up last minute before deciding that I was doing no more with it.

you are hanging the vocals off the music, as opposed to the music off the vocal, i know there is a lot of interplay with the guitar lines in the vs/chorus, the vocal probably should be where the melodic guitars are in terms of presence.
don't worry about your voice, no-one else can make that sound.

You both make good points, not to be defensive about it but I will say that when I mixed it it sounded and felt to me that the vocals were more present then they do above, I ended up mixing it to about -7 or -8 db, and at a volume from the monitors that I could talk over (which is what I read I should do) but then for soundcloud I cranked it with a compressor and limited it and the vocals felt lower in the mix and the drum sound started to be an issue.

Perhaps this is an EQ issue? I know certain frequencies are more present at different volumes. Also there seemed to be a clipping issues with particular frequencies post limiter which I ended up addressing by doing a cut in that range (around 500-800 Hz IIRC)

You both make good points, not to be defensive about it but I will say that when I mixed it it sounded and felt to me that the vocals were more present then they do above, I ended up mixing it to about -7 or -8 db, and at a volume from the monitors that I could talk over (which is what I read I should do) but then for soundcloud I cranked it with a compressor and limited it and the vocals felt lower in the mix and the drum sound started to be an issue.

Perhaps this is an EQ issue? I know certain frequencies are more present at different volumes. Also there seemed to be a clipping issues with particular frequencies post limiter which I ended up addressing by doing a cut in that range (around 500-800 Hz IIRC)

i cant answer that because i'm on my work headphones, i've had them about 8 years but they arent in any way scientific. if i'm anywhere near my drinking speakers i'll give it lash through them. Its cool anyways, i'm just being engineery about it.

Its cool anyways, i'm just being engineery about it.

Oh no, it's cool, I may have a fondness for the crappy sounding and lo-fi but that doesn't mean that I don't want what I do to sound as "good" as possible. I could have stuck that song up 2 months ago but I spent ages tweaking it and figuring out what I needed to do to get certain things going on and to get it as close to how I wanted it to sound as possible.

Hopefully my workflow on this stuff will be much faster in future.

This is what I was at today
[sc]
[/sc]

I'm using my soundcloud more these days, putting up random stuff.

me too

Here is a pretty acoustic finger picking thing I made up

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back