Thread for upcoming reissues of interest (1 Viewer)

They will probably advertise it as the authentic vinyl experience. Life has skips ect...
But seriously.....that's shite.

I bought a compilation of rare soul tracks years ago they all sounded like 192kbps mp3's. I was livid.

I doubt the master tapes still exist,but surely it wouldn't have been that hard to get a decent copy to rip from

They will probably advertise it as the authentic vinyl experience. Life has skips ect...
But seriously.....that's shite.

I bought a compilation of rare soul tracks years ago they all sounded like 192kbps mp3's. I was livid.

Was the comp legit? It's common on bootlegs

Just having a go of it's precursors playlist, Nippon Acid Folk, pretty amazing so far

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Mute announced reissues of THESE IMMORTAL SOULS in January which are due out on 12 April 2024.

The band led by Rowland S. Howard (1959 - 2009) was probably closer to The Birthday Party than Cave's stuff.
The rest of the band was Rowland's partner Genevieve McGuckin on keyboards, brother Harry Howard on bass and Swell Maps drummer Epic Soundtracks (1959 - 1997).
The first LP was licenced to SST in the US in 1987.

For 17 years the video for this song was on YouTube until a few days ago and other videos have had audio tracks removed, whatever happened...
These Immortal Souls - The King of California (1992)

The Young Charlatans - Shivers (1978)
Original version sung by Rowland

In this brilliant interview Genevieve McGuckin talks about growing up in Brisbane, The Saints, moving to Melbourne, meeting Rowland, moving to London and Berlin, having to buy back Rowland's white Fender Jaguar all the times he pawned it, moving back to Melbourne in the 90's, Rowland moving back in with her when he got ill and looking after his estate now and Rowland having a lane named after him in St. Kilda... among many other things.

Genevieve is a film editor and graphic designer by trade.
Staggeringly someone broke into Genevieve's flat and deliberately stole many items related to Rowland.

Awesome! Marry Me is one of my all time favourite songs.

That’s shitty!
I love Rowland's Birthday Party songs but was hit and mostly miss about following him afterwards.
I saw the video for The King of Kalifornia on 120 Minutes on MTV about October/ November 1992 (shortly after I first heard The Birthday Party) but never went and got the I'm Never Gonna Die Again LP.
It got little attention and I never saw it in a shop.

The interview with Genevieve gives a pretty full story of how being a genius didn't protect Rowland from addiction and poverty.
She partly gave Rowland's only guitar to a museum as a result of his things being stolen from her and she's still badly affected by it.

EDIT: I still haven't seen the documentary on Rowland which was mostly filmed at the end of his life.

Last edited:
EDIT: I still haven't seen the documentary on Rowland which was mostly filmed at the end of his life.
Me either. I do have his last album though, it’s pretty good. I need to get my record player sorted and get listening to it again.

Did you ever like Crime and the City Solution? I think the original run of albums are pretty special.

Me either. I do have his last album though, it’s pretty good. I need to get my record player sorted and get listening to it again.

Did you ever like Crime and the City Solution? I think the original run of albums are pretty special.
Only heard a few songs by C&TCS and I didn't like them. Don't know what era that was from
Also heard some songs early Australian line up of C&TCS did circa 1980(?) but can't really remember them now.
What would you recommend by them?

Only heard a few songs by C&TCS and I didn't like them. Don't know what era that was from
Also heard some songs early Australian line up of C&TCS did circa 1980(?) but can't really remember them now.
What would you recommend by them?
Room of Lights, their first album, is good. It’s the one Howard plays on, Alex Hacke from Neubauten plays guitar for them after that. To be honest, I like them up as far as Paradise Discotheque - I haven’t listened to the new albums after they reformed.

Yet another compilation from cherry red records, due May 31st . Sounds interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back