THORPEDO' THROWS IN THE TOWEL (1 Viewer)

molateen

Website
www.notmenbutgiants.com
http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,1281-1241445,00.html

Odd at such a young age .

1470876.jpg

It means he has a life that he wants to live. Any kind of pro athlete demands stupid levels of dedication. Swimming though, is a particularly brain dead kind of sport. You are completely alone in the pool, and you have to do hours of work, getting up before school, half days off school, going in after school. Eating, swimming, and a bit of school... and that's your life.

Swimming was the only sport I was ever "good" at, and when I was young I was taken in to the sort of youngsters team from which Ireland picks its Olympic squad. I would like to say the reason I left was because I saw this self absorbed narrow road of training, and living to be a swimmer, and I wanted to be my own person. But that would be bollox, I left because one time, I was beaten, and I couldnt deal with anyone being a better swimmer than me. And that was it, I never raced again. I was probably a little shite when I was young.

Anyway, when my old man heard about it he supported me, I gave up training, and then I realised what life was like when everything didnt revovle around me, what I ate, getting into the pool in time, and swimming. I was young, and it was grand.
But I still clearly remember being beaten, and i remember seeing what normal life is like.
So, the fact that this guy, at this point in his life, who has completely given himself to swimming still has the brains and the will to stop it all, leave at the top, and do something else with his life gets my total respect.

He was an animal swimmer, and he has done everything. For a pro athlete to give it all up, when its there waiting for you, is really brave I think.

there are rumours that he is gay and would just like to have his personal life back again, but then again you have to remember that he has been swimming professionally for over 10 years (i think) and perhaps he just wants to enjoy his life while he can

he is fascinating to watch - the sheer size of him and all but he ploughs through the water like a hot knife through butter. i dont think this has anything to do with teh gay rumours - the aussie press have been plaguing him with those for a while. i reckon it is what it is - he entered the sport young, did amazingly well, and wants to move on with his life.
fair play i guess.

he had a sense of homour about it as well. During the press conference he said if anyone knew of a position for an ex-olympic gold medalist please let him know!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back