This is where we talk about our favourite R.E.M. albums (3 Viewers)

Pantone247

Since 2000
Website
pantone247.blogspot.com
1. Reckoning - all the drone jangle of murmer, but with the rock!

2. New Adventures in Hi Fi - dark dark record

3. Green - the frist REM album I bought I could do the "Stand" dance

also feel free to discuss...

"REM - where did it all go wrong... then go right... then go wrong again"

Pantone247 said:
2. New Adventures in Hi Fi - dark dark record

gets my vote. especially 'leave'... crazy noise that doesn't sound like r.e.m. at all, but brilliant.

although the rawk bits of monster are good for, like, dancing around like a loon to. i sold my ticket to go and see them in slane on the monster tour. (then i went to see soundgarden instead. oh shame, eternal shame.)

1. Murmur
2. Life's rich pagent
3. Fables of the reconstruction
4. Reckoning

I was out one night recently (can't remember where) and Stand came on and everyone was dancing but NOBODY was doing the Stand dance... it would appear it has gone the way of the Foxtrot and the Mash Potato.

hmm, let's see...

"life's rich pageant" is probably my favourite, folleyed by "murmur" and maybe "green". i also have a soft spot for "fables of the reconstruction of the...", joe boyd brass-tastic production and all. actually, i pretty much like everything up to "green" a lot. haven't bought anything of theirs since "automatic for the people", so have no idea where they started to go right again and then go wrong again.

first rem album i bought was "document", back when i were a young 'un. i had a very depressing moment at an rem festival set a couple of years back, where i realized myself and my oldarse friends were the only people in our part of the crowd that seemed to recognize "it's the end of the world as we know it". why, in my day, etc.

kstop said:
I liked the genesis p. orridge interview they did in REM one time. I have it somewhere in an anthology type thingy.

[completely random off-topic factoid]apparently, mr. orridge and his missus have both had/will have plastic surgery so that they'll look more like each other. i've seen photos of the current state of affairs. scary. [/factoid]

Green... their best album, IMHO (WIOCTOIWC)

Special place in my heart goes to Dead Letter Office, for the tired and drunken rendition of King of the Road, and the chord changes in Bandwagon. I prefer the originals of 'There she goes again' and 'Femme Fatale', however.

And Document is great as well. Always liked Oddfellows Local 151.

have to say, nothing after Monster really rocked my boat. New Adventures didn't really do it for me. That said, gotta listen to it again.

I never like New Adventures... I was very disappointed when I heard it first. However there is always something good on an REM album (except for Reveal) and on this there's EBow the Letter and Electrolyte.
(The Ebow cd single feature a brilliant cover of Richard Thompson's Wall of Death)

UP is a pretty good record too: Suspicion is classic REM.

I didn't like Monster either - except for Thurston on Crush with Eyeliner, and Tongue.

i had 'radio free europe' on the beginning of a mixtape once. you know that little doing doing doing noise before the song begins? i remember hearing it was a bass headstock played through a toilet or something crazt like that... nerds, enlighten me, cos it's a great noise. or rather it's not a great noise, but it comes before some great noises. if you get me.

thats funny. i stuck on green for a listen last night. i hadnt even thought about it years. such a great album, reminds me of my early teenage years

when they played marley park a couple of weeks ago i was able to listen to them from by friends back garden. they souded brillo, i've never actually seen them live tho

Saw them that time in Slane, many many moons ago. Oasis supported (blah). REM rocked, they were in a whole Monster-vibe, and everything they played was big heavy chords, even Everybody Hurts. Half the crowd was picking up bits of paper off the ground and throwing it into the air, and the other half were doing the Statue-Of-Liberty with their lighters. When you looked back up the hill in the twilight, it looked like fairydust. It was the most beautiful concert I've ever been at.

silo said:
although the rawk bits of monster are good for, like, dancing around like a loon to. i sold my ticket to go and see them in slane on the monster tour. (then i went to see soundgarden instead. oh shame, eternal shame.)

Moster is funny, as a bands 10th album or so its a bit duff, but if someone told you it was some midwestern 90's yankee indie grunge groups debut album I think folk would be all over it. Listening back to it I find more and more to like about it, bizzarely Tounge would be in or around my top 10 REM tunes.

I haven't listend to UP or Reveal ever, I'm probably being dumb but I just presume it'd ruin my feelings on the REM.

Funny that Automatic isn't gettign major props, I know that I, as a dyed in the wool snob of an indie kid back when it came out, thought it was really dull for them.

And boy was I tired of Everybody Hurts the 3,000,000,000 time I heard it

Pantone247 said:
Funny that Automatic isn't gettign major props, I know that I, as a dyed in the wool snob of an indie kid back when it came out, thought it was really dull for them.

And boy was I tired of Everybody Hurts the 3,000,000,000 time I heard it

Ah but Nightswimming and Find the River make for the most beautiful album closing... I'm ok with Everybody Hurts but nono for the shitty loud one and not so for Monty Got a Raw Deal

i've been an rem fan since i was a little girl,
faves
1 document

2 green

3 new adventures

i met micheal stipe and made a tit of myself about three years ago

went to the marlay gig coupla weeks ago, the old stuff was deadly, really really good, and the new stuff was an oppurtunity to go to the bar

cushtie

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back