dudley

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Contributor
Since 1999
Website
www.thedudleycorporation.com
It's gorgeous, this. Home recorded super smart indie-pop, manned by 2 boys and steered into heart warming, soul stirring territory by Carol Keogh, a lady blessed with some utterly sublime vocal chords. Sublime seems an apt word to spread across this whole release actually, the attention to detail and the quality of sound is superbly intricate throughout, spindly guitars weave patterns around gently pressing drum machine patterns, live strings are meshed with splashes of gorgeous mellotron, and that voice lends a huge dollop of world weary heartache to the whole puzzle.
Opener Halfmast declares that 'Part of me was a sea shanty' and 'I'm as empty as pockets' before settling into an utterly intoxicating coda of sound, and the feeling that you're listening to something a little special doesn't let up til you get to the closing Now Here. References to the likes of The Notwist and Pinback can be sloppily bandied about but the longer this record plays out the cheaper such comparisons seem to become. A superb first offering.

03 June, 2003

aye, a great record. the production is top notch, only crisicism is that personally i think some of the material is weak/out of place compared to the stand-out tunes and this means the album as a whole doesn't run through as well as it might.

just got this last week and it's a revelation.of course i knew them well enough and liked them well enough before but i wasunderwhelmed when i saw them live once and didn't expect this to be so good
so few irish bands stand up to overseas contemporaries.this is an exception.review is spot on.how does love life compare?

stunning said:
buzz on the street is that they're becoming quite the collectors item!
That's probably because they're never going to produce any more CD's by The Tycho Brahe
after they changed their name to Tychonaut.

Initial quantities of "This Is..." were in digipak not jewel case, and are all gone now.

MP3s are at http://www.tychonaut.com if you're still unsure.

stunning said:
LOVE LIFE is light years ahead of This Is...

Get it while you can...buzz on the street is that they're becoming quite the collectors item!

can't imagine it has a song as great as half mast on it.though i have heard that one spike and the wheel which is a belter.oh well another one to add to my already over long christmas list

stunning said:
LOVE LIFE is light years ahead of This Is...

Get it while you can...buzz on the street is that they're becoming quite the collectors item!

oh yeah,bought love life there a few weeks ago and it is actually kinda shit.way too many cheesy lyrics and botched ideas.nowhere near as good as 'this is...' which is still getting better to my ears with every listen.not that 'love life' doesn't have its moments but too few of them

hermie said:
oh yeah,bought love life there a few weeks ago and it is actually kinda shit.way too many cheesy lyrics and botched ideas.nowhere near as good as 'this is...' which is still getting better to my ears with every listen.not that 'love life' doesn't have its moments but too few of them

Wow, I don't know how you could so easily dimiss the oceanic beauty of My Father The Jeweller, the gorgeous obsession of Imprint, the stunning testament to truth of Made In The Fire.

Half Mast is a classic track, but one song does not a masterpiece album make. The double disc set of Love Life is a series of emotional and lyrical punches to the heart and mind.

We can of course agree to disagree...but having listened to both albums at least 100 each, I stand by my study and evaluation.

DJ Sir Thomas

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back