this auld wan that's up the duff (2 Viewers)

jane said:
Dude, egg, don't start going all biological determinism on me. I'm talking about humans. I'm talking about western humans. I never said that you don't get gender divisions elsewhere, either among other humans, or among animals.
I assure you Jane, it's been proven that biology causes social inequality. Couldn't be bothered explaining it to you, go look it up in a book

jane said:
It arrived into my regular usage about six months ago, and I can't make it stop. I absolutely hated it, and now I seem to have embraced it, and I don't know why or how. The fact remains: I use it ALL THE TIME.
I started using it ironically in conversation during conversation. That was six years ago! Totally lost it's ironic edge too dude. Word.

Back home you might say of someone "he's a real cooooool duuuude so he is", as a way to describe someone who's arrogant or throwing shapes or whatever.

I use dude on the internet too.

egg_ said:
I assure you Jane, it's been proven that biology causes social inequality. Couldn't be bothered explaining it to you, go look it up in a book

Couldn't be bothered explaining it? I thought you said you didn't know any social theory anyway? Biological determinists think they've proven it, but it doesn't mean they have. I had a pretty interesting debate (yes, debate, not hostile at all) with a biological determinist a few months ago. It was actually really useful for both of us, I think.

It can't be proven that biology causes social inequality. You can't separate biological realities from cultural behaviours because no biological entities exist in isolation from other entities or from culture.

If it were so, then are you implying that we are all simply driven by biological urges? Because we are no more biology's dupes than we are history's dupes. Biological realities can influence all sorts of things, but they don't explain social inequality.

Yummy Mummy:

060116_mother_vmed_2p.widec.jpg

jane said:
It's not a non sequitur, but whatever.

Note the question mark. How about logical fallacy? Straw man argument? Casual vs causal relationship? Whatever, dude, take yer pick, but the fact that some "pro-life" individuals might also be anti-single mothers is irrelevant and proves nothing.

If you are having real trouble comprehending some things that I'm astonished that people don't already know, given the amount of social theory people here claim to have read -- and so I thought that people would be more familiar with how deep-rooted social inequalities actually are --

Who, me? Read social theory? I don't fucking think so. Please don't generalise. It can come off quite patronising, and i know you don't mean that. Or maybe I'm just stupid.

then perhaps you could:

1. Tell me what you think explains social inequality

Ehhh... why is that even relevant to the question(s) i asked?

2. What precisely I have not explained well enough, so that I can explain it better.

Basically, I don't get why you believe a theoretical notion of an extremely negative collective subconcious / hive mind attitude towards women which nobody is aware of, nobody speaks of and no specific individual is to blame for trumps the rather more straigtforward and far easier to digest idea that abortion is murder. Cos that's what I think the negativity (and subsequent ownership battle for the womb) stems from, not any underlying attitude everyone / noone has.

Unless, of course, you just want to disagree with me on principle, in which case, there's no point in me even trying.

When i actually agree with most of what you say?

oldwomanbirth.jpg

- How does it feel to be really old and have a baby?

- You have lovely hair young lady.

- Are you planning on having any more children?

- You know, I met Mr. Hitler when I was a young girl, about your age in fact.

- Have you thought of a name for your child?

- I think I need to go to the toilet now. Hold on, not to worry, the bag caught that one. What were you saying dear?

egg_ said:

i sincerely hope you weren't trying to be as patronizing there as that came across. perhaps jane has done her own reading on the subject! perhaps jane actually deals with related issues in her research! imagine!

and, er, isn't it a bit simplistic to sum up all the arguments on the subject of biological determinism (and different degrees thereof), nature vs. nurture, etc. as "AN INARGUABLE FACT THAT I CAN'T BE ARSED EXPLAINING, BUT I ASSURE YOU IT'S TRUE QED I WIN".

ReadySteadyJedi said:
I started using it ironically in conversation during conversation. That was six years ago! Totally lost it's ironic edge too dude. Word.
That second "conversation" should be "college". But whatever dude, that shit's still totally word from my scraw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back