The Tom Waits question (1 Viewer)

nlgbbbblth

Frozen in time since 12:34am on January 1 1982
Website
www.nlgbbbblth.wordpress.com
The great man releases two new LPs, "Alice" and "Blood Money" simultaneously in May.

Just wondering which Waits do you people prefer:

-The pre-Swordfishtrombones period or the post-Swordfishtrombones period?

With these new records it'll be seven [studio] albums in each period.

Hard one to call but because the early years was what I heard first I tend to go for them. On the other hand there are some days when only "Rain Dogs" will do

gotta go with post, cuz of Swordfish, Raindogs + Bone Machine.

but Closing Time still holds a very very special place in my heart.

then it'd be post sftb. but i reckon he does things in threes....
as for closing time, the man himself hates that record. he did all that billy joel bruce sprinsteen crap to get the leeway to do the stuff he does now. but he wrote some smashing toons. as a musician and a visonary.. i think swordfishtrombones is one of the greatest albums ever, cos of it's, shall we say, colour? but!!! i think small change is the best pre sftb.... but bone machine would be the best post.... i fink swordfish is the pinnacle of the mans career. so there.

it's early. i'm hungover. i wish tom were here.

*swoon*

i have it on vinyl if ye want... i'll sell it to ye. i aint got no record player no more...

it should be pretty good, but then, i aint seen it in a while. i'll dig er up and let you know

you've saved me a whole lotta effort

get that brandy single for john while your at it. oh yeah, and some kind of handbag for the man.

I'll go with the herd and agree that, while pre-SFTs is great, that album marks a turning point form greatness to absolute genius. So are those fuckers the Carnival Saloon still plaguing Dubln billboards with those posters that say : [4] "Tom Waits"[/4] in huge letters with [1] "the Carnvial Saloon play the music of"[/1] in teeny weeny letters above it?

post sft in general, but the songs are all good....sometimes I want to hear foreign affair or his orchestrated epic songs, sometimes the clanking mad stuff...sometimes the senimental bruce springsteins...it's all good because he's never faking it.

the first of his albums I ever heard were franks wild years and closing time......bought on the same day. changed my ears for ever.

I have Alice tapes - the demos for Alice (based on that musical done wih robert wilson...)

God
am i to be embarrased because I love the 'bruce springstein' closing time etc.
That music had the same meaning etc. as the later stuff.
It's just not as texas chainsaw massacreish

Stuart Little (28 Feb, 2002 10:52 a.m.):
I think it's cool* the way that for 3 years or more Tom Waits has been "coming" to dublin to play the olympia.
Several times a year this rumour resurfaces and evaporates.

[1]*sarcasm[/1]

Last time I heard he was going to be playing HQ at some ridiculous price like £60 a ticket. Just imagine the smarmy MCD price if he ever does come here...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back