the toasties in grogans (1 Viewer)

if your putting jam on your croissant do you slice it open and put the jam inside or just put it on top? and do you like the ones with almonds and sugar on them? i do, i love them.

if your putting jam on your croissant do you slice it open and put the jam inside or just put it on top? and do you like the ones with almonds and sugar on them? i do, i love them.

i tear them open and put jam on the fleshy wounds.

i just love when you're sitting there and you've been drinking a while and then you realise actually - you're quite hungry and !bing

toastie!

and id never make them at home for myself or anything. but in grogan's they're lovely. and im going to choose to ignore the preparation method as described by hayworth a few posts back...........

must try the ones ye speak of in the bachelor inn

The Hut (Mohans)

159 Phibsboro Road, Phibsboro, Dublin 7

The Hut, located just up from Doyles Corner is a welcoming retreat from the often bustling Phibsboro crossroads. There's a fondly regarded snug that you can access from the street and it was there that I made myself comfortable on a drizzly Wednesday eve.

I have a few friends living in the area that have long been singing the praises of this establishment's Toastie. I've been meaning to put the north side of the city on the map so I made it my business to see what the fuss was about. It almost didn't happen as I put in my order at 9.30pm and the barman had to check what was left. As I eyed up the rows of neat side plates at the end of the bar I was asked 'Cheese, ham, tomato and onion okay?' I was in luck and retired to the snug with pint in hand. The quiet surroundings meant that the process was given plenty of attention while I gave mine to my reading material. Almost without my noticing it arrived at my table. Almost that is, except that you could smell this sandwich coming. Rich aromas wafted in as it was carried over, condiments in tow. Quite a sight too and straight away I could see that it was a full on Special. Made with good sized bread slices that were seared tantalisingly from the sandwich press. The contents peeking out from the sides boded very well indeed and I began to investigate the filling eagerly.

The cheese quite literally poured out onto the plate as I did so, a little more fluid than one would normally expect. It was tasty enough and quite plentiful but I quickly identified it as not being bonefide stuff due to an almost custard like runniness. No matter, this Toastie had more than enough going for it besides. An amply sized cut of real ham sat under four slices of tomato, two on either side of the middle rather than diagonal divide. Exactly the right way to go about things in this instance. Added to that were some proud chunks of chopped onion, that you just knew you'd still be tasting on the way home. This was a proper handful of a sandwich and I found myself wishing that I hadn't had such a decent dinner earlier. The Hut Toastie Special is one of the most generously filled I've had and I wager would satisfy any rumbling stomach on the premises. To be honest, the only thing that prevented this from being an almost perfect specimen was the cheese, which lacked the elasticity and tang of proper cheddar. It didn't really make a difference to my enjoyment on this occasion, but it probably wouldn't be good enough to hold up a plain cheese in my estimation. Still no sign of Colonel Colman either... but I digress. There was very little wrong with this delicious, flavoursome and filling Toastie and it's as good as my friends recommendations suggested. I gladly award the Hut Special

8/10

Pint and Toastie cost €8.10 (toastie €3.80)

http://toastieofthetown.tumblr.com/

OT: There's a grilled cheese place in Perth called Toastface Grillah, awesome name.

https://twitter.com/TFgrillah

83ddb770b5de451649dae2d1536cde7b.jpeg

http://toastieofthetown.tumblr.com/post/56692365752/the-international-bar-23-wicklow-st-dublin-2-the

I got so excited by the toastie in the International that I got all flowery wit me language n'all.

The International Bar

23 Wicklow St, Dublin 2

The International Bar is famous for a number of things, most notably the comedy club that runs upstairs 7 nights a week. It’s also home to a fine trad session which attracts tourists and locals in equal measure. Being situated slap bang in the middle of town, this small family run pub has had it’s fair share of interesting characters squeeze in over the years.

I’ve been here many times and quite often it’s been when the pre show crowd is clogging up every bit of space. So it’s not often that I’ve been in the mind to trouble the busy bar staff for an aul’ toastie. On this occasion, it’s a quiet Saturday afternoon and so I get in my request for one of the sandwiches off the neat little snack by safesaver">menu. I must admit, I’m briefly tempted by the mighty fine looking stew but I’ve got a job to do here! I opt for the full ham, cheese, tomato and onion, which I note is not only pre made but also pre sliced. This will prove to have a profound effect on the resulting toastie, as a cursory glance over the taps reveals that it will be getting the George Forman style grill treatment. I’m more hungry than I usually am when doing this so I’m struggling to bide my time until it’s all ready.

A few minutes later and my grilled special has arrived. Straight away I’m giddy about the fact that I have to tear the thing apart, the cheese being so thick and plentiful that it’s formed that wonderful dark crust at the bottom. I think this could be my preferred way of toasting as even the ham, which is piled high, has had it’s edges singed by the hot press. It’s standard deli ham but works just fine here. The barman hasn’t remembered to offer me any condiment options, but he’s busy doling out the stew so I won’t hold it against him. After applying the mustard I dig in. by safesaver">Again, I’ll mention that I’m particularly peckish today but man, this is a good toasted sandwich. The cheese is luscious, almost mozzarella like in it’s elasticity. There’s just a smattering of tomato and onion to enrich the flavours, and the viscid filling combined with that crisp, slightly burnt finish to the bread is an afternoon delight. If there’s any downside to this whole experience it’s maybe the lack of condiments, or perhaps that I got a slightly stalky hunk of tomato…. but really, I’m just being picky now. I think this is one of the best Toasties I’ve had in a long time and accordingly I give it

8.5/10

Pint and toastie cost €8.30 (toastie €3.50)

Peter's grub.

http://toastieofthetown.tumblr.com/post/58105274113/peters-pub-1-johnson-place-d2-there-was-a-time

Peter’s Pub

1, Johnson Place, D2

There was a time not that long ago when I used to drop by Peter’s Pub on a fairly regular basis. It was back when people had a little bit more of a disposable income and didn’t count their change so readily when returning from the bar. This pristinely kept premises at the top of South William St has had a bit of renovation and sprucing up since then, but how does the toastie fare in the old haunt?

The bar lies empty upon our arrival, and it’s a perfect hour of the day for a quick bite to eat. There’s a more varied food menu than a lot of places have to offer, salmon featuring prominently. While my companion orders a straight up toasted cheese I go for the ham and cheese (afterwards we both pondered why we didn’t ask for a bit of tomato and onion). I also decided to forgo my usual accompanying pint of plain for a beer, it being a warm day and all. As I mentioned before, Peter’s is a smartly run bar with lots of old style attention to detail. Drinks were brought and indeed poured out for us, and I was quite taken with the neat little glass jars of mustard and mayo. Early points on the board for service and presentation. The toasties arrived fairly smartly too and unusually I’m presented with a brown bread sandwich. I’m quite happy with this even though it would be in keeping with the place to be given the option. The cheese toastie is filled with stringy red cheddar slices that clings desperately to the bread as it’s prized apart. It’s a wee bit on the bland side, appearing to be of the standard coloured variety. Nothing wrong with that really but the tom and onion were again lamented in their abscence.

The ham and cheese combo reveals a slightly different story, unfortunately falling short in a pretty crucial area. Namely, the cheese hasn’t melted. I didn’t clock the equipment being used but whatever way it’s been done the ham has acted as a barrier to the heat and I’m left with sweated rather than melted cheddar. It’s a pity as the ham is nice and succulent in partnership with the condiments. I can only assume that packing in more ingredients would have made things even less successful.

Overall, Peter’s lures you in with it’s cosy details, but the main attraction doesn’t quite fit the bill. Speaking of which, this being one of the more costly pubs in the city the price is a bit rich all things considered. I really enjoyed all the trimmings and the service was great, but the toastie itself just about gets

7/10

Pint* and toastie will cost you €9.80 (h&c toastie cost €4.90, cheese €4.30)

* Guinness

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back