the toasties in grogans (1 Viewer)

BOWES LOUNGE 31, Fleet St, D2 Hidden away from the...

BOWES LOUNGE

31, Fleet St, D2

Hidden away from the masses Bowes is a little gem of a spot, a quiet oasis in amongst the sway of the city centre. A regular haunt for newspaper makers and readers alike, it also hosts some fine trad sessions and is beloved by anyone who has discovered it’s simple charms.

This bar also keeps another tradition alive, and it’s something that divides hungry patrons opinion across the city. Yes folks, it’s an old school cellophane bag Toastie. Whilst I can’t be sure of when I had my first Toastie back in school/college days I’m quite certain that it was produced in this manner. The barman offers me just the ham and cheese staple and I sit back and watch as the red elements of the grill nuke the plastic parcel.

It arrives on my table with it’s transparent sheath intact, the heavily toasted white pan revealing some charred edges. Some people will argue that this is the ONLY way to get a Toastie. I’m not so sure but anyway, it’s what’s on the inside that counts. A cursory glance at the contents as I lather some of the Colonel’s mustard reveals the bare basics - one piece of ham and a singular square of cheddar. It’s always disappointing to see that you’ve not been given enough cheese to meet the edges of the bread, which is browned so much that the first sip of Guinness is required straight away. The ham is fine but again, I would have hoped for a second slice to bulk up the eating experience. I’m done and still peckish enough to order a second,but as the charred crusts leave a bad taste in the mouth I decide I’ve had enough. Although you could argue that this is pretty close to the idea of a ‘classic’ pub toastie, the reality isn’t quite a vintage experience. Overall, too burnt/dry and not enough of anything in it. At least you can say it was good value for money.

I give the Bowes toastie a middle of the road

5/10

Pint and toastie cost €8.40 (toastie €3.50)

The Oval Bar

78 Middle Abbey St, D1

When I put together my ‘Toastie Map of Dublin’, I was asked why I didn’t include The Oval, a well worn bar just off O’Connell St. I’d only been there on occassion but I was informed that I was missing a key plot on the toastie map. I finally made it in during the week and noted their boast of a batch bread toastie on the chalk board. Batch bread you say? My interest is piqued so in we go. It should be mentioned straight away that The Oval is a pub with more than the humble toastie on offer. The waiter quickly informs our party of the soup of the day, and tries to tempt a chicken kiev upon us. He actually asked us if we knew what a chicken kiev was. The menu had various combos for sandwiches but I went with the classic ham and cheese that they originally lured me in with. It arrives smartly dressed with an attractive enough looking side salad and the expected collection of packet condiments.

Ok, let’s get down to business here. If you say you’re using batch bread, here’s an idea - use batch bread. The solid, flattened bread we got was not the genuine article and resembled a panini sandwich more than a crumbly batch loaf. Very disappointing start but I haven’t given up yet. Inside I discover that they’ve treated me to one single slice of red cheddar that doesn’t even stretch to the corners of the bread. It’s so thin and bland that you can barely see or taste it, and only the presence of two or three slices of ham give this thing a chance of being a sandwich. The ham’s okay, but it’s a bit too salty to be honest. I do my best to sauce up proceedings but that tacky bread comes back to ruin any enjoyment. Each bite turns into a gluey ball that I have to slowly ingest so as not to choke. Not nice and as my friend agrees the best thing you can say is that we’re no longer hungry. The chicken kiev expert returns to clear our plates and I’m tempted to ask him if he knows what a ham & cheese toastie is, because this wasn’t anything like a decent effort. It wasn’t cheap either (although the stout was good value) and so the Oval stays off the map with a very poor

2/10

Pint and toastie cost €9.30 (toastie €4.95)

This bar also keeps another tradition alive, and it’s something that divides hungry patrons opinion across the city. Yes folks, it’s an old school cellophane bag Toastie.

Some people will argue that this is the ONLY way to get a Toastie.

you facking WHAT? since when is a plastic bag toastie considered old school or a classic? you might as well say a microwave burger is the only way to enjoy the classic meat sandwich treat

i'm not sure i've ever even had a bag toastie (definitely not had a
micro-burger)...so maybe i'm missing something glorious

Top tip: If you haven't toastie bags, turn your toaster on its side. On one slice of bread, your ham, on the other your cheese. Allow to melt then assemble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back