The thread for problems that might be solved with a quick yes/no answer (1 Viewer)

Unicron

Supporter
Solutions
Website
theformersovietreublic.bandcamp.com
So I've been mixing a song at about the volume where I can have a conversation in the room as that's what I was advised to do. As things stood last time I was working on it I had a guitar part that's sitting nicely but when I crank the volume to a level that I might listen to a song at it pops right out of the mix.

This is a presence/upper-mid issue and might be solved by an EQ cut and maybe also raising the overall volume of the track slightly to compensate? y/n

Not a y/n answer, but...
Could be a frequency that's being boosted by biases in your mixing environment once the volume is being pushed.
Have you tried listening at volume on headphones, or in an entirely different listening space?

Not a y/n answer, but...
Could be a frequency that's being boosted by biases in your mixing environment once the volume is being pushed.
Have you tried listening at volume on headphones, or in an entirely different listening space?
Have tried headphones, and it's popping out there too.

Is it a distorted or clean guitar? Could you not pull the guitar back a little, maybe it's compression is off. There is a lot of issues between 2-3khz try a notch cut there first and see does it help. 800hz +/- is an issue also.

Now,I'm only a novice but....

Compress it harder.Get that motherfucker under control.

And mix at different volumes.Mostly at low level..but don't be afraid to crank that mofo..you gotta make sure it rocks..essential.

And like Pissy-P says ..move about the room.

And reference the mix on various devices and adjust till you get to a point where its acceptable on each.Be prepared for the mix to sound different on each device..but as long as it sounds super great...you're in business.

Is it a distorted or clean guitar? Could you not pull the guitar back a little, maybe it's compression is off. There is a lot of issues between 2-3khz try a notch cut there first and see does it help. 800hz +/- is an issue also.

It's cleanish, small bit of OD from the amp's dirty channel but not a whole lot. I'd be surprised if the issue were frequencies that low from the litle I know, it's very bright and sharp sounding when I have it loud.

Anyhow thanks for the answers all, I'm going to have a go at it again ina couple of hours.

it's very bright and sharp sounding when I have it loud.

Sounds like you need to roll off the top big time.

I'm currently going through a phase of rolling everything off..as low as I can get away with.Leave the hi hats up there..thats about it.

Cures harshness and gives you that authentic pure old school analog sound*.

*heh

Sounds like you need to roll off the top big time.

I'm currently going through a phase of rolling everything off..as low as I can get away with.Leave the hi hats up there..thats about it.

Cures harshness and gives you that authentic pure old school analog sound*.

*heh

I made a cut around 3K that eased the problem a bit I think.

Then I decided that the whole thing sounded shit anyway so I pulled the mix apart, and started again with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back