The Spook of the Thirteenth Lock - new video, website and free mp3 download (1 Viewer)

Just like to add a few words of praise myself. First time seeing them as a 5-piece and they really and truly are all the better for it. Always great to see a band become more than the sum of it's parts, especially when each component is so strong on their own. Great also to hear such a varied set. One song is pure Shipping News, and others reminded me of Andy Irvine at his best. Yet nothing sounded out of place. Quite an achievement. Have only had time to give the album the once over. Looking forward to getting my teeth into it proper over the summer.

yup, I'll be there. Bring CDs!
Unfortunately, even though it's more local than the Dublin it still involves a drive so I'll be on the dry as usual.

In other news the first album got reviewed today in the Hetro, 4 years after it's release. Not complaining mind!

That's gas!

This album is sinking in now. At first I was impressed but didn't really find a song to hang my hat on, like I could Christchurch, Pimlico or On Ragged Rock. But that was because I'd had to do something else before I got to The Rattling Hell. So there was the song, a brilliant ballad. And once I had that I was satisfied to let the rest get a grip of me. Absolutely love The Black Diaries.
The focus is often on the interplay of instruments, the ebb and flow, the shifts, rather than a central melody, and I think that's one of the main differences to the first record. It sounds more like a 'band' album and I'm enjoying it for that.
It's really verbose, the vocal harmonies are particularly impressive with all that detail, it would have been easy to end up with clutter.
Great stuff.

That's gas!

This album is sinking in now. At first I was impressed but didn't really find a song to hang my hat on, like I could Christchurch, Pimlico or On Ragged Rock. But that was because I'd had to do something else before I got to The Rattling Hell. So there was the song, a brilliant ballad. And once I had that I was satisfied to let the rest get a grip of me. Absolutely love The Black Diaries.
The focus is often on the interplay of instruments, the ebb and flow, the shifts, rather than a central melody, and I think that's one of the main differences to the first record. It sounds more like a 'band' album and I'm enjoying it for that.
It's really verbose, the vocal harmonies are particularly impressive with all that detail, it would have been easy to end up with clutter.
Great stuff.

Cheers Padraig, love that description!

Arbutus Yarns video from Young Hearts Run Free gig back in October of last year

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Cheers Anthony!

Off to the Roisín for a free gig on a deadly lineup of Windings, ourselves and Glimmermen this Thursday.

Then on Friday we play a free gig with Drunken Boat in Joe Lees Bar Tullamore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back