the latest RSA campaign (1 Viewer)

La La

i drink your milkshake
i've only seen the ads with the guy who drove drunk and now sounds/looks drunk all the time and the woman talking about her daughter who didnt wear a seatbelt, showing her pictures and stuff. i know there have been heaps of campaigns showing the gore and all that, but i reckon these two may actually be on to something. what think ye?

are these the ones with real people talking about what happened to them? i saw one with a guy talking about his brother who died. it would give you pause for thought alright. i find the ones that shop horrible crashes and kids getting hammered by tumbling cars a bit hard to stomach and usually flick or turn away, these new ones are better, i'd say, although its probably inevitable that people will become used to them after a while.

the ads alone won't change behaviour.

i like the australian tactic.

t-drink.gif

i still maintain that the only way to get people to slow down is to confiscate their cars for a few days every time they get points.

i was thinking a day per point, but per point you now have; i.e. two days for first two points. get two more, four days. etc.

A sort of related news story from the UK

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080104/od_nm/britain_motorist_dc

LONDON (Reuters) - A woman banned from driving for seven days after traveling at speeds of less than 10mph on the motorway told Reuters on Friday: "that road's my nemesis." Stephanie Cole, 58, of Fishponds, Bristol, straddled the hard shoulder and inside lane as she dawdled along a stretch of the M32 near her home last August.

b

In the back window of the car was a sign which said: "I don't do fast, please overtake."

what's with the one about yer mans brother. he fell asleep at the wheel. is that supposed to be a warning. don't sleep and drive. what are we supposed to say to that? wow. thanks. fucks sake, i was heading down to cork and i thought i might get some kip on the way, but now i think i'll just concentrate on the driving. thanks for the heads up.

I think it's time to start paying heed to these campaigns because im just after returning home from the doctor with a freshly broken rib due to excessive 75% absinthe intake and he actually mentioned that ad about the guy talking like hes drunk all the time and how easily that shit can happen.

It would also be wrong to ignore the fact that what I was doin was stupid anyway but just thought id mention it because of the ad. I don't know whether to say fair play for not prescribing me any pain killers and tell me to just deal with it for 6-8 weeks or call him a bollox.

Lesson learned? Remains to be seen.

what's with the one about yer mans brother. he fell asleep at the wheel. is that supposed to be a warning. don't sleep and drive. what are we supposed to say to that? wow. thanks. fucks sake, i was heading down to cork and i thought i might get some kip on the way, but now i think i'll just concentrate on the driving. thanks for the heads up.

seems like a reasonable warning to me. so far i've managed to avoid crashing but the close shaves i have had were probably down to me not being as alert as i should have been. i'd say you could easily fall asleep at the wheel, its quite hypnotic sometimes. look at the white lines...... look at the white lines.....

i nearly came a cropper once, driving home past kildare at about 2am, trying to stay awake and actually reaching the point of realising my eyes were closed. i pulled in and got 15 minutes kip.

There are a few things you can do if you find you're getting sleepy at the wheel

Turn up the volume on the radio, open a window and pull some doughnuts and handbrake turns at high speeds- great for brushing the cobwebs away

I doubt even speeding (regarding speed limits) is that much of a problem; more like people driving at speeds inappropriate for the section of road & conditions and engaging in ridiculous overtaking.

When there was accidents in the fog on the N7 about a year ago there were people complaining about not told there was fog on the radio. No amount of advertising is going to fix that kind of stupidity.

the woman who died in that fog hit the back of a fire engine which not only had fog lights on, but all the flashers on the roof too. and i think she was going so fast, she didn't even have time to hit the brakes.

I'd say you're right. We're so inundated with safety warnings that people have stopped using common sense. Like, if the road is slippy, they don't bother driving more carefully unless there's a sign that says so.

Anyone who drinks and drives is an idiot, but drink driving isn't the only problem. Falling asleep at the wheel is terrifying -- I've done it, too, and it's fucking awful. Driving while on medication.

Driving while talking on your headset, even though it's legal, is another one. When you have someone in the car and you're chatting away, you both see what's on the road, and the conversation automatically stops when you're trying to navigate something difficult. A person who isn't in the car with you doesn't see that, so your attention is in two places at once. It's just common sense to minimise the use of phones in the car.

I don't think laws are the problem, but it's pretty obvious that people have started using them as a replacement for common sense, and even only observe laws that will otherwise result in heavy penalties. They don't stop for red lights because no one ever gets stopped for that. They'll sideswipe a cyclist or turn right into a pedestrian just because they 'own' the road.

If everyone had a little patience and made other people's safety as important as their own, and put it before getting there faster, the roads would be safer. But you can't legislate for common sense.

i find sending texts while bombing down the m50
a lot more difficult than i did a few years ago.

getting old i guess

i dropped a cigarette on myself today as well driving
in to work and i burned a bit of the carpet!!
that hasn't happend in ages

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back