The Kinks--village green re-issue (1 Viewer)

buck

i don't know much about the Kinks but out of curiousity bought the re-issue of the Kinks are the village green preservation society afew months ago. i really like a lot of it, some really good songs.

is there any major kinks fans who could recommend what albums to get next?

buck said:
i don't know much about the Kinks but out of curiousity bought the re-issue of the Kinks are the village green preservation society afew months ago. i really like a lot of it, some really good songs.

is there any major kinks fans who could recommend what albums to get next?
which reissue did you get?
a triple CD thing came out this year

I got the Castle remaster from 1997. Has mono and stereo versions of the LP plus a couple of other tracks

would also recommend Arthur Or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire

plus that Ultimate Collection double CD comp from 2002 is a good intro

The Kinks are too good to be true. I recommend you buy the singles collection. It is a 2 cd pack with 19 singles on one and a collection of Ray Davies' favourites on another. I am buying it for everybody this Christmas. Even if they have it already. It is a combination of them being magnificent and me being a lazy bastd.

Totally agree with you on that. Although if somebody asked me Kinks or Beach Boys, I would have to say Beach Boys. I sometimes think that they don't get the credit deserve. When most people think of the Beach Boys it's always "Fun Fun Fun" or "California Girls" but there is so much more classic stuff than that, it really pisses me off. Although it's about time Brian Wilson got the credit he deserves.

They could have been a bit more ambitous in the studio which is maybe why they are not as remembered as they should be. Ray Davies though :) what a songwriter!
Another hugely underated band of that era would be "the lovin spoonful". John Sebastian had that same knack of writing great catchy songs

lovin' spoonful-fucking awsome. let's not forget the monkees in all of this.
and why stop there? youngbloods,the move,tomorrow,autosalvage,mad river,holy modal rounders,family,buffalo springfield,fairport convention (in their u.s. sounding phase).even the fuckin' jefferson airplane had some killer tunes.
mother of christ, this could go on and on...

i was just thinking that about the stones, beatles and kinks....i got cds by all three only recently and the kinks are my favourite of the three by a good bit.

I'm gonna get those albums yee all recommended asap...thanks

in saying that daniel johnstons version of 'I will' by the beatles is utterly amazing methinks. I know it might sound bad but i'd never heard the original up to a few days ago. I missed out on that era big time..except for Love and a few other bands..

must email my sister with a list of the kinks albums for my christmas present....

AMC said:
When most people think of the Beach Boys it's always "Fun Fun Fun" or "California Girls" but there is so much more classic stuff than that, it really pisses me off.
aye, people like that are complete cunts

Aside from Pet Sounds, the Beach Boys made a number of essential albums that should be in every collection

these would include

Today
Friends
Wild Honey
Sunflower
Surf's Up
Holland
Beach Boys Love You

AMC said:
I have never met one person who will agree with me that Sunflower is the best Beach Boys album. Not one fucking person!!

Its possibly my favourite. It changes all the time.

Top 10 would be

Smile
Sunflower
Pet Sounds
Wild Honey
Surfs up
Holland
Friends
Carl And The Passions
Love You
Live in Concert 72-73
20/20

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back