the john fahey appreciation thread (1 Viewer)

oh shit

John%20Fahey.jpg

"I do not, and have never thought of myself as a "folk" musician or a new age musician, guitarist, or sympathyzer. I despize all "revivalists" of folk music, and I despize all "New Age" music.

I have never used my music or stage or anything to push some kind of politics or ideology or religion or whatever.

In all my music I never tried to do anything except express emotions, sometimes very dark emotions, depression, hatred, etc., in a coherent musical language.

My category is Alternative, period. I object to any other categorization. I do hope that nobody will try to make me out as a child of the sixties. I was playing what I play before and after the sixties. This period had very little effect on me. I was never a hippie, and had no hippie friends. "

i've never heard of the fella, but reading that top bit, it sounds like he thinks he's fuckin bob dylan. he also sounds like a bit of a knob. sorry.

my friend lent me this dvd with a 1969 television show called 'guitar, guitar' that he was on, has anyone else seen it? it's fucking brilliant. he makes a total idiot out of the presenter.

Miss Piggy said:
can we praise robbie basho in here too?

I love robbie basho.
especially "visions of the country".

Robbie%20Basho.jpg

basho is amazing! this morno i described him as
"remember the guitar guy who goes "EWAaaaaWHouuuuuuuuuu YeeeeeeeeeAwhhhhhhhhO Yoooooooo Ohhhhhhhhh!!!!"

throwin some love out to: Sandy Bull!

shane - did you see James Blackshaw in lazybird that time? heard bits and pieces of his recent stuff - the kid is growing so quick.

for fans of the above

funny how he was singer in my mates spazzy vss style band a few years ago

I doubt it.

Anyone heard the stuff Fahey did with Cul de Sac?

oh shit said:
My friend lent me this dvd with a 1969 television show called 'guitar, guitar' that he was on, has anyone else seen it? it's fucking brilliant. he makes a total idiot out of the presenter.
Any chance of horseing that up on t'internet?

oh shit said:
my friend lent me this dvd with a 1969 television show called 'guitar, guitar' that he was on, has anyone else seen it? it's fucking brilliant. he makes a total idiot out of the presenter.

yeh, i have it. don't think it's fair to say he makes a 'total idiot' of her - it's not exactly pistols/grundy territory. he spins her a couple of yarns which she falls for, alright, but this is the same guy who put copies of his first lp in the used bins of record shops, trying to pass them off as old bluesman albums (blind joe death). any cursory reading of his vast liner notes shows what a prankster he was, nothing more. in fact, his entire career seemed designed to confound and amuse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back