Presents

the Jimmy Cake
with
The Connect Four Orchestra

Whelans of Wexford Street

Saturday December 2nd

Doors 8:30

Admission £6

Between 1998 and 1999, Das Madman played extensively around Dublin city to sell out audiences in venues such as The Funnel, the Da Club and Whelans This sizeable collective was put on hold due to irreconcilable musical differences and the fact that almost every member of the outfit had their fingers in far too many musical pies. Here are a few of those;
Dead Plants, Luc and the Platelets, New Dark Age, Thinker Org, Herv, Zoeger, Repetitive Strain Industries, Phillip K. Dick, Rae, the operas "Obegon" and "Neshika", labels Front End Synthetics and Front End Productions, the Whispering Gallery and so on and so forth.
Around six months ago, Das Madman were asked to headline a gig by the now defunct Satan Clause. The band decided Das Madman was dead and a new approach and manifesto was needed. They opted for the Jimmy Cake and a subtler, more mature approach to music and the songwriting process in general. They also opted to change their name for every gig, the next two projected monikers being "Bag of Mickeys" and "Joined up Writing". Then they got to like the Jimmy Cake. It stuck. May god have mercy on their souls.
The Jimmy cake is now a nine piece incorporating full kit (sometimes played by two drummers), guitars, basses, two clarinets, trumpets, saxophone, garbage and other percussive waste, balalaika and accordion. The sound is not easily pigeonholed but comparisons have been drawn with krautrock and postrock pioneers such as Can, Faust, Tortoise and Godspeed You Black Emperor.

The Connect Four Orchestra were asked to play this show after their performance with said cake at the Cobblestone. The band hated it but were shouted down by the audience and the Cake.
Fresh from a 3 month break this walking, performing game of musical chairs are one of the finest live acts in Dublin at the moment, tipping their caps to, but never imitating the finer moments of the last fifteen years in underground American music; liquid melodies and top old skool synths abound. Do not miss.

thank you for your attention,
j.

[email protected]
````````````````````````````````

To be fair i rarely meet a band or dj that is truly happy with the set they just played....
C.4.O. felt that they were rusty and clumsy. The audience thought they were fucking great. Shows how much musicians know.

By the by, the Whelans gig will be a fiver rather than six quid as stated in the press release.
I tried to post this earlier but it didnt woik. Oh well.

Back to the top...

so shameless <sigh>

Special Offer for Thumpeteers:
1/2 price admission for all who wear a red clown nose.

(PS some of this message is not true)

Wear your nose like heaven!!

thought so alright..

all the 'last page' stuff available now is from November 2000 though.

preople have certainly upped their game in the comedy stakes since then

There were a couple of false starts before we had WWWThreads. Thanks to THRILLHO I have about 1,000 of those posts on my PC that he was able to pull from the Internet archive.

Then there was UltraBoard 1, which died after about 6-12 months, taking all of the posts down with it. The posts you can see from November 2000 on were imported from UltraBoard 2000 which was replaced by vBulletin in December 2001 (I think).

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back