The Illusionist (1 Viewer)

I is John in the what movie did you watch last night thread said:
A) Not as good as the Prestige
B) Kind of a crap ending
C) I enjoyed it overall though

and I stand by it while also agreeing with what you said

Yeah I saw this, twas alright....the ending surprised me even though i should have expected it oddly enough. Norton is my favourite actor so anything he's in i'll automatically like I suppose, Giamatti is one of my favourites as well.

It was good but ultimately a bit meh.
Beautiful looking film but when a 19th century magician is doing stuff that can't even be done today, its a bit hard to take seriously.

explain that last bit please

Would you say the same about the Prestige?

It's something related to some work i'm doing at the moment so just wondering where your coming from

What was Edward Norton's accent?

I think if filmmakers are going to base their story in a specific location, like Austria, they should hire indigenous actors and film in the relevant language.

I though The Illusionist was pretty terrible.

I think if filmmakers are going to base their story in a specific location, like Austria, they should hire indigenous actors and film in the relevant language.

Seriously?

That would be a pretty big shake-up for Hollywood

It's something related to some work i'm doing at the moment so just wondering where your coming from

im not gonna speak for wilbert here but ...

SPOILERS*********

The reason the prestige worked was because it effortlessly spanned genres. the illusionist was a more linear story but got sidetracked with the romance.
at the end of the illusionist when the detectives character is given ed nortons book of secrets it shows with diagrams how he did the tricks. i know its just a movie but thats a little hard to swallow. a growing flower, ghosts appearing and dissapearing, i think thats what wilbert is getting at.

I think it's unlikely to become standard practice in Hollywood. Still, Verhoeven did it really well in Zwartboek and it's infinitely preferable to seeing an American actor phone in a "with zis Rocher you are really spoiling uz" accent.

"see you at the paaarty RICHTER!"

"you are wan ouuugly moderfucka"

SPOILERS MAYBE

I think the prestige is different in that at its heart is a trick that doesn't work in real life. That is where the leap of faith and the suspension of disbelief comes in. In the world the film creates it is not too difficult to go along with. They offer the trick as a result of science. Now, you and I know that science cannot do what happens in the film but they offer an explanation and the whole film seems consistent.

In The Illusionist, we see that Norton is a magician and is not in possession of supernatural powers. The Orange Tree manuscript he gives Giamatti is proof that his tricks are just that, tricks. His alarm when Giamatti is looking at his props confirms this also.

When Norton starts to do his public seances and we see ghosts walking through the audience that are so convincing that nobody is shocked until someone puts their hand through them, the film becomes confused. Until now we have only seen Norton do elaborate but technical tricks. Are we supposed to believe that he can summon the dead to appear? He can't because the main focus of these illusions is proved to be very much alive so it is a trick but to make people appear in a puff of smoke like he does is ridiculous. Don't even get me started on the butterflies!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back