The Homeless are revolting! Join Them! (2 Viewers)

StreetSeen

Website
www.streetseennews.blogspot.com
No More Deaths on our Streets

Killed by Indifference
Street Seen are organising a sleep out outside the Dáil to highlight the continuing campaign of "No more deaths on our Streets - Killed by Indifference" a campaign on the issue of the preventable deaths of members of the homeless community. The sleep out is taking place on tuesday the 27th at 6 o'clock and will continue untill wednesday morning. The Dáil is back in session on wednesday and we will be there in the morning to show the powers that be that we are going to make this campaign a major issue for the next Dáil session.
Please come bring your sleeping bag and a flask of tea and show the government that this campaign has major support.

For more details please contact:

Mark Grehan 087 7974622
Jon Glackin 087 70541947

Street Seen Press release

26th September

Homeless sleep out outside the Dáil.

Tuesday 27th September from 6pm until Wednesday morning

As the government returns to work after it’s over paid and over extended holiday’s members of the homeless community will be sleeping outside the Dáil to continue their campaign of “No more deaths on our streets”. Organised by the Irish Anti Poverty newspaper Street Seen the sleep out is a signal to the government that campaigners intend to make homelessness a major issue for the next Dáil session.

A spokesperson Mark Grehan said

“While the government were away on their holidays the homeless community continued to suffer from the inaction of our so called political leaders. There have been several deaths amongst the homeless community ultimately resulting in the launch of this campaign. The homeless community has met nothing more than indifference from the government. After years of economic prosperity it is a disturbing direction that this government is taking us. The tax breaks granted to the equestrian community show us that horses are better treated than members of the homeless community”

Mark Grehan continued by saying

“This action is being taken to send a clear signal to the government that we intend to make this issue a major issue for the next Dáil session. For too long this government has ignored this issue. For too long have they left it up to charities to take action where they have failed to deliver. This government can no longer ignore this issue as we will bring it their doorsteps. Failure to act will result in more deaths on our streets, deaths caused by the indifference of our government”

For further info please contact:

Mark Grehan 087 7974622

Jon Glackin 0870541947

Quick Update

There will be some cover provided tommorow night and a mini-bus near to hand so we can defeat the current inclement weather conditions..
Some Musicians will be dropping down for a 'seisun' around 10ish.
The Food Not Bombs crew will be supplying some refreshments and a bit of a bite during the night
We will have 237 placards, representing those people who 'officially' sleep out every night in Dublin
We intend to screen some homeless documentaries, such as Berrred, that looks at the barring issue in the hostel systems here.
Any ideas or suggestions for other activities, gratefully recieved..
So hopefully we will see ya all there and show those TDs we mean business!!!

Queen Buzzo said:
Deadly buzz. So what exactly is the dealio with Streetseen. It's a mag? One dude or many? Anything to do with Street Scene?

Heard the protest went well....
yeah, i'd like to know more as well. particularly, whether or not it's a front for any political party (i know mark grehan is/was in sinn fein). not trying to question anybody's motives here, just that if something like this exists, that's fantastic and i'll be very supportive of it, but i'd hate to think that my efforts would be getting taken advantage of, s.w.p.-style, for some group's electoral/political gain.

tom. said:
yeah, i'd like to know more as well. particularly, whether or not it's a front for any political party (i know mark grehan is/was in sinn fein). not trying to question anybody's motives here, just that if something like this exists, that's fantastic and i'll be very supportive of it, but i'd hate to think that my efforts would be getting taken advantage of, s.w.p.-style, for some group's electoral/political gain.

Interesting.....

indymedia said:
Gerry Adams was there also and spoke at length on the Rossport 5 issue and other issues.

tom. said:

:rolleyes:
No front for ANY political organisation!
Tis simply a an anti-poverty paper http://streetseennews.blogspot.com/
Basically the big issue done properly!!

Apologies for the C+P, also need supdating, but I is in a rush...

Street Seen was established in November 2004, as a campaigning Anti Poverty paper, primarily to be sold on the streets of Ireland by members of the Homeless community or those affected by Poverty directly.
Homelessness is an extreme symptom of Poverty and Street Seen through its associated projects intends to tackle the root causes of poverty locally and internationally.
Street Seen is a unique social experiment based on the philosophy of self help, a model that has been practiced successfully throughout the World. It gives homeless people a hand up not a hand out, empowering them through their own actions. Helping the homeless help themselves is one of the key principles behind Street Seen breaking people from dependency, offering an alternative to begging or crime. It allows people to make choices and develops their self-esteem. It provides empowerment; money they have earned through hard graft that comes with no rules to tell them how to spend it. They control the consequences. It teaches vendors how to run their own business
From selling the paper and earning their own living homeless people are elevated above the traditional hand out culture. Homelessness undermines human dignity and hinders the ability of people to benefit from their fundamental rights. Street Seen seeks to change the relationship homeless people have with their immediate environment, through giving them the ammunition for self initiated change.
Street Seen has not just enabled them to earn a living but it has empowered homeless people through their own actions, and thereby helped them to regain their self esteem. Equally as important, support and training is available to all vendors through our social projects. The purpose of the support and training is to enable vendors to re-integrate into society

Street Seen seeks to change the relationship between homeless people and the public by directly challenging traditional stereotypes surrounding the homeless in a number of innovative ways. Firstly by keeping the issue of homelessness and poverty in the paper, as well as in the national media - press, radio and TV, challenging stereotypical perceptions in the mainstream media. Secondly by giving homeless and marginalised people a voice in the paper, editorial which is written by homeless people locally and internationally about their own experiences.

We aim to produce a good read, not a pity purchase, so that the public buy the paper on its own merits and they are not in a sense, buying the condition of the vendor. However, Street Seen is a campaigning paper, raising issues that don't get coverage in the national press and more importantly providing a platform for homeless people and those who would not normally find space to share their experiences and opinions. Street Seen contains regular contributions from Iraq, Palestine and the many groups working towards social justice here and further afield and welcomes submissions from progressive groups and individuals.

We see working with other groups that have a common aim as crucial in helping to lay the foundations for social change. As such we have built links on the ground and with those agencies that work directly with the homeless and with the various agencies and groups that tackle poverty locally and nationally.

Current and future Projects:

· Recently held an ongoing successful Sleeping Bag Appeal, gathering enough items that will last for the next few months, with items distributed to the East Belfast Mission, The Welcome Centre (W Belfast), Home Plus and other outreach groups that work directly with the homeless Community..

· Creating Photography and creative writing classes so as to increase involvement with the Homeless Community and their paper.

· Producing a documentary, made by the Homeless so as to tell their own story, to be screened on terrestrial TV.

· Supporting and developing an International Homeless Forum where members of the Homeless Community and service providers can communicate and exchange thoughts and ideas. http://www.forums.homeless.org.au/

· Developing our own web space to increase inter reaction with our readership and supporters. http://www.streetseennews.blogspot.com/

· Working on creating Belfast’s Homeless Soccer league with associated coaching, refereeing and training courses

· Working with and promoting the Make Poverty History Campaign amongst other campaigns.

· Outreach Work with the Homeless Community addressing immediate needs and concerns

We do not rely on advertising or the backing of wealthy patrons to keep Street Seen afloat; we keep our cover price low so most people can afford it. It is more important for us to get the message out from the street than profit from poverty. At the moment we come out every three weeks with the intention to go fortnightly at the earliest opportunity. This has been a large undertaking but we feel confident for the future, the success of the Sleeping Bag Appeal exemplified to us that people really do want to make a difference.
Street Seen intends to stick around and assist anyone or group who are willing to attempt making that difference, you know where to find us…..

tom. said:

Just to clarify I am a member of Sinn Fein. However I am the only person involved with Street Seen who is a member of a political party. We are not a front for any political party. We are a campiagning anti poverty paper who help organise the unorganised. Our agenda does not include campaigning for any political party. I hope that has made things clear.

Mark Grehan said:
Just to clarify I am a member of Sinn Fein. However I am the only person involved with Street Seen who is a member of a political party. We are not a front for any political party. We are a campiagning anti poverty paper who help organise the unorganised. Our agenda does not include campaigning for any political party. I hope that has made things clear.

How different is Street Seen to The Big Issue?

Mark Grehan said:
fair dues mark. just so as you know, i was in ucd around the same time as you, that's how i know about you. i'm not stalking you. well, not yet anyway.

LazlowJones said:
How different is Street Seen to The Big Issue?

We are a not for profit paper Anti poverty newspaper. Any profits made goes directly back into homeless projects. This is not the case with the Big Issue. We have much more direct involvement with the homeless community as we organise campaigns such as the current campaign and we try to include as many people as possible in our decision making.

Don't worry Tom perhaps it's me thats stalking you!

profits go to the ceo's of the company, the full time staff etc..

These lad's are doing it for real on the streets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back