The Golden Shower (1 Viewer)

Got to love when it bites these cunts in the arse.

Tragically no one has been bit in the arse yet, it could very well that happen that no one will either. Sean Fitzpatrick is, as one of the red tops ran today, 'living it up' in Spain at the moment, another excecutive borrowed 8 million last Spetember using his own shares as security, making the reasonable assumption that the bank would be nationalised making his shares worthless, essenitally handing himself the 8 million.

it sounds more and more like the bankers saw what was coming and went out of their way to secure ways and means to pull a few (million) quid out for themselves as the ship went down

as for the Golden circle, you have to suspect it's has some pretty big names on it, I'd even say that in certain circles of the media names are already out there, this Irish times article gets to the crux of the matter in the last para

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2009/0221/1224241586025.html?via=rel

If the parties are not named by the Government, but come into the public domain through the media, the media would have a very strong public interest defence. This would carry one condition, however – they would need to be very sure the names were correct. A person wrongly named as an investor in these circumstances could have a very strong libel action case indeed.

it's tempting to read between the lines and think that this the times saying "not just yet... but soon... maybe.." RTEs coverage of it has been similarily shadowy... it'll be very, very, very intersting to see who throws the first name out there... though I could be wrong and it all could be confusion generated by the fact that the goverenment itself seems to have no idea wether names should be released or not... two stories released within hours of each other with quotes from high ranking members of the Dáil plainly contradicting themselves... there is clearly chaos reigning here... also you have to love this...

Ms Coughlan insisted that a private Anglo Irish Bank dinner which Brian Cowen attended two weeks before he became Taoiseach was part of his normal day to day work.

Ms Coughlan said: "I think it is inappropriate that aspersions are being cast on the Taoiseach.

"It is a normal day-to-day thing people do (attend dinners) as Taoiseach or Minister for Finance or Cabinet minister."

If they really feel these aspersions are inappropriate they should name the investors or locate the names themselves and if not release at least make some statement that they're happy that it's all legit... if not completely immoral... it might not make anyone any happier, but at least they can make quotes like the above with sounding like they're hiding something and telling us all to piss off and let them do their shady doings

The trick here is to remember that you now own Anglo Irish band, we all do, none of us wanted it, but we own it now and our money (and more of our money then before with the 7% levy and 1% wages levy) is paying for the mistakes, or blatent theivery that has taken place. The level of contempt that is being shown by certain corners of the goverenment, to the public, inspite of this fact is galling and insulting

everyone has to be aware that this isn't going to be an easy few years, and few would say that leting Anglo Irish implode would've been a better idea, but lets start acting like grown ups in a grown up country, with grown up politicans and leave the patronising tone, all the lads looking out for each other scams and cagey pissy responses that charecterised the Haughey/Ahern era behind us, yeah?

there you go now

of course they have to name them, if they stayed anonymous you'd be able to prosecute. theyve got the unfair jury thing on thier side now.

They haven't got immunity from lynch mobs. Rawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawblerawble

apparently a Cork pub group are involved too....pah..rubbish I'd say..
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article5781014.ece
The businessmen who bought 10% of Anglo Irish Bank last summer, using funds supplied by the bank, include the co-owner of the K Club and the builder behind the Dundrum Shopping Centre. The “golden circle” also includes the country’s biggest housebuilder and the founder of a private hospital group.
Four of the 10-strong group of investors assembled by David Drumm, Anglo Irish’s former chief executive, are: Gerry Gannon, Joe O’Reilly, Seamus Ross and Jerry Conlan. Either they or some of their companies now owe several billion to Anglo. All four declined to comment last week.
Gannon co-owns the K Club, which hosted the 2006 Ryder Cup, with Michael Smurfit. He is the founder of Gannon Homes and owns a large amount of land in north and south Dublin.
O’Reilly is best known for developing the €1 billion Dundrum Shopping Centre. His company, Castlethorn, plans to build a €1.2 billion new town in Adamstown, west Dublin. He also plans a mixed-use development on O’Connell Street in Dublin.
Longford-born Ross runs Menolly Homes, the country’s biggest housebuilder. He owns Dunboyne Castle in Co Meath and recently ended a dispute over profits made on the development of houses in the K Club. He lost millions when the International Securities Trading Corporation (ISTC), a finance company set up by Tiernan O’Mahony, a former Anglo executive, came close to collapsing.
Conlan is the least well-known of the four. He sold 400 acres of land he co-owned in Naas, Co Kildare, known as Millennium Park, for €340m. He used much of the proceeds to found the Mount Carmel Medical Group which owns a maternity hospital in Rathfarnham, south Dublin. Mount Carmel has been appointed by the Health Service Executive to build private hospitals on the grounds of public hospitals as part of the co-location strategy.
The Sunday Times has been able to ascertain that the following businessmen, some of whom have had dealings with Anglo, are not among the 10 investors: Sean Mulryan, Patrick Doherty, Sean Dunne, Derek Quinlan, Denis O’Brien, JP McManus, John Magnier, Noel Smyth, Michael Whelan, Jim Mansfield, Richard Barrett, Johnny Ronan and Fintan Drury.
Patrick Kearney, a founder of PBN Property in Belfast, did not return repeated calls made last week. He was variously “in a meeting”, “in another meeting” and then “flying to Gibraltar”. Kearney is Anglo’s largest client in Northern Ireland and a close friend of Drumm. His business partner, Neil Adair, established Anglo’s Belfast branch.
John McCabe, the founder of McCabe Builders, also refused to comment last week. He was said to be “out of the office”, then “not at home” and finally The Sunday Times was told “he will call you back if he wants to”.
McCabe is an important Anglo client who lives on a stud farm in Meath formerly owned by Charles Haughey, the late taoiseach.
Last week Ulick McEvaddy, a well-known business figure, described the “Anglo 10” as “heroes” who were prepared to put themselves at risk to support the bank.
One banking source said: “Sure, they were patriotic, but if your bank asks you for a favour [in these market conditions] you do it.”
In total, Anglo Irish Bank lent €451m to a group it has described as “10 long-standing clients”, to buy 10% of the bank. The shares are believed to have been acquired through nominee companies.
The transaction was agreed to prevent the stake acquired through contracts for difference (CFDs) by businessman Sean Quinn coming to the market last summer. It was feared that this would result in a sharp fall in Anglo’s share price.
Three-quarters of the loans were secured against the shares themselves, with the remaining 25% secured on the participants’ “personal assets”.
The bank admits it is likely to have to write off €300m of the money it loaned the 10 investors. Because Anglo has since been nationalised, this loss now passes to the Irish taxpayer.
The Financial Regulator has “categorically” denied knowing the terms of the deal or the identity of the investors beforehand.
It said it knew “steps” to unwind the Quinn shareholding were being put in place, but has not explained why it did not seek further information on the final structure of the deal.
The emergence of four of the 10 names will put further pressure on the government to disclose the others.
Brian Cowen, the taoiseach, said last week that his advice from the attorney general was that he could not disclose the names.
Donal O’Connor, the Anglo chairman, said last week it “would be wrong for the bank to refer to any transactions or dealings with any specific customer of the bank”.
Eamon Gilmore, the Labour party leader, yesterday called on the government to appoint a High Court inspector to investigate various activities at Anglo.

so is it fair to say that essentially the hyper millionare backgrounds of the golden shower arent actually of any relevance? like say they picked 10 people on the dole and paid them 451 million to buy 451 million worth of shares, the risk of not seeing the money again is pretty much the same.

spose. its real pre-french revolution shit when you can rob that much money off a country and walk.

well they didn't really rob the money, they borrowed money from the bank, which would've used money from deposits accounts and probably borrowing from foriegn and world banks to raise this money. Then they invested that money back into the Anglo Irish... this money went into the day to day running of the bank, I guess, I'm not sure it went... now that the shares our worthless the Golden Circle technically owe the Anglo Irish this money back, but it's probably going to be written off as a bad debt... even they did chase it they could only ever reclaim 25% of what the loans were worth, as this was all that was securied

On face value it's hard to see what was in it for the Golden Circle and one would have to assume there were vested interests from all sides to see the bank continue

Or maybe they're a returning a favour, they've all been involved in multi million euro property developments, I'd imagine Anglo Irish Bank probably have cash rolled at lot of this

well they didn't really rob the money, they borrowed money from the bank, which would've used money from deposits accounts and probably borrowing from foriegn and world banks to raise this money. Then they invested that money back into the Anglo Irish... this money went into the day to day running of the bank, I guess, I'm not sure it went... now that the shares our worthless the Golden Circle technically owe the Anglo Irish this money back, but it's probably going to be written off as a bad debt... even they did chase it they could only ever reclaim 25% of what the loans were worth, as this was all that was securied

On face value it's hard to see what was in it for the Golden Circle and one would have to assume there were vested interests from all sides to see the bank continue

Or maybe they're a returning a favour, they've all been involved in multi million euro property developments, I'd imagine Anglo Irish Bank probably have cash rolled at lot of this

I'm still having a huge amount of difficulty understanding this whole thing.

I could be wrong here but...... I thought they could have made a fortune out of it.

Basically, they own loads of shares. If the value falls (or, say the bank gets nationalised) they lose nothing because the shares themselves are the security. If the value rose, they could have kept the profits.

Am I right?

I could be wrong here but...... I thought they could have made a fortune out of it.

Basically, they own loads of shares. If the value falls (or, say the bank gets nationalised) they lose nothing because the shares themselves are the security. If the value rose, they could have kept the profits.

Am I right?

This is what I assume, too.

That, and that to sell the shares in secret to them would prevent a panic sell or a run on the bank, propping it up until such time as they could figure out what to do.

Presumably these people were already investors in the bank, but even if they were mostly involved with other banks, it's not in any investor's interest to see another bank fail. It reduces confidence in the whole market, and so what was in it -- or as far as I understand, which isn't much -- is their continued 'prosperity'.

But the movement of the money and who put in what, and who borrowed what to put what where -- thats' where I get totally fucking lost.

What I'm really curious to know is what's in it for the government to be this corrupt. I mean, they aren't living the Haughey high life, they seem to have the elections sewn up already anyway, so what do they get out of it?

I feel like this the way I felt about Bertie: what's the point of being a corrupt bollix if you're not going to get filthy, stinking rich out of it? Is that amount of power in a small country really enough of its own reward? If you're not gonna do a fucking Mugabe or a Gaddafi or a Hussein or a Haughey, why not just be honest?

Am I right?

Probably was actually, though it'd be hard to see how it could've gotten better for the bank... but as you point out they had nothing to lose

this nut calling them "hero's", y'know if things had worked out, the bank rallied, maybe the situation worldwide improved... not that they'd be heros, no one would probably know about them, but y'know...

This is what I assume, too.

That, and that to sell the shares in secret to them would prevent a panic sell or a run on the bank, propping it up until such time as they could figure out what to do.

this more like it, it seems to be me to be a real stop-gap measure, the Financial Regulators were very concerned and the Golden Circle move got them off their banks (the regulators has no interest where the investors came from, didn't give a monkeys...), I guess it bought time to bury the worst of the damage... and for directors to give themselves 8m euro loans, etc, etc, etc...

But the movement of the money and who put in what, and who borrowed what to put what where -- thats' where I get totally fucking lost.

see there's actually about 4 or 5 seperate shady dealings all going on at once, Golden Circle is the borrowing to buy shares... money being moved is Sean Fitzpatrick taking loands from Natonal Irish to cover up Anglos debts

http://www.rte.ie/business/2009/0217/anglo.html

Apparently he did it for the one day the Anglo books would be checked and returned the millions the next day, I have trouble getting my brain around this one too.... it's such a dopey scam

God I hope Fr*nk F*hy is one of the 10!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back