The Gods Must Be Crazy (2 Viewers)

Donkey OJ

N!xau.jpg

anyone seen this. its pretty crazy pretty hilarious. i found it in the new releases section of chartbuster but it turns out it was originally made in 1980 by a south african director. its about a tribesman in the kalahari desert who is trying to get to the end of the world so he can throw a glass coca-cola bottle into the abyss because it brings evil to his tribe. the bottle was thrown out of a plane flying over the remote part of the desert where his tribe lives and gets picked up by one of his children and causes friction and greed cos its perceived as a multifunctional "tool" which far out performs their own primitive tools. so the previously peaceful tribe start to bicker and covet this magic tool. anyway the star of the show is a land rover called "the antichrist". some excellent slapstick and much surreality. check it out. the tribesman is played by a real bushman called N!xau(!!) - see above - and he's excellent too. highly recommended.

ms.b.haven said:
why would you want to watch all of that, and then admit you did
i've never wanted to watch a movie i've heard nothing about. the sleeve had mainly primary colours on it. and someone else had gotten to the mel gibson box set before me. i admit i watched (and enjoyed) it cos its a great movie and i want to spread the good word to people who may not have heard of it. theres too much shite on videoshop shelves to not recommend a genuinely good movie. an bhfuil cead agam dul amach go dti an leithreas?

brilliant film all right

they made a second one that wasn't so good

ironically, after this film, the bush man guy reaped the fruits of his stardom, got a nice house and ended up living a suburban, very non-bushman lifestyle

THRILLHO said:
The sequel was kinda shit though.
yeah i got less than half way thru it and bootros bootros gali, the head of the taste police, intervened. the scene where yer wan is hanging off the tree is great tho
:eek:

you don't have to ask permission...

a man with a coke bottle doing a Christopher Columbus on it....i'm not quite convinced

Donkey OJ said:
i've never wanted to watch a movie i've heard nothing about. the sleeve had mainly primary colours on it. and someone else had gotten to the mel gibson box set before me. i admit i watched (and enjoyed) it cos its a great movie and i want to spread the good word to people who may not have heard of it. theres too much shite on videoshop shelves to not recommend a genuinely good movie. an bhfuil cead agam dul amach go dti an leithreas?

ms.b.haven said:
you don't have to ask permission...

a man with a coke bottle doing a Christopher Columbus on it....i'm not quite convinced
christy colombo sailed to prove there was no end of the world. our little black friend was land based and thought that where land met the sea was the end of the world. and it was in africa. no boats. no king of portugal. no wigs. no scurvy.

I work part-time in a video-shop royt? and we had The Gods Must Be Crazy Vol I and II on DVD (it was also in our new releases coz it had only been released on DVD. You would've found From Dusk Till Dawn in our new releases up til recently too. :rolleyes:). Anyway, I kept meaning to get it out. Then I went to look for it on the databse and it wasn't on the system. Looked for the cover and it wasn't there. It was like totally removed from the shop and all trace of its existence erased. I have yet to quiz the manager. But I was stumped, coz this is so not normal practice. Even the DVDs that are cracked don't find themselves erased in such a fashion.

So that's my story. And that's why I haven't seen the film yet. Thank you.

Mr. Columbus wasn't 100% sure, and i was implying that our little black friend (not very PC OJ) was replicating Christy's journey.

have you PMT or something?

Donkey OJ said:
christy colombo sailed to prove there was no end of the world. our little black friend was land based and thought that where land met the sea was the end of the world. and it was in africa. no boats. no king of portugal. no wigs. no scurvy.

roxy said:
Whoever I am? I'm roxy. Hello.
hello. nah i was Milk-Traying whoever gave me rep points *and* granted me permission to relieve myself ....as gaeilge. but may i reiterate.... hello.

roxy said:
Tell me you didn't mean to say "Dia is Muire duit" but just got it hopelessly wrong? Gosh, mick, for a scholar such as yourself...
ta an athas orm an currach seo a glanadh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back