The Gig This Weekend (1 Viewer)

I'm not givin' a cent to the Eamon Fcuking Doran's until they decide to renew the PA and give a decent sound :mad:

They don't give a shit of music down there, they just make bands play to sell drinks the people they bring in... I'm FED up

Originally posted by Alex
They don't give a shit of music down there, they just make bands play to sell drinks the people they bring in... I'm FED up

I second that, but is it not true that the beer in Dorans is rancid, EVERYtime I've gone there and drank I've felt sick, EVERYtime*

*about 6 times.

but I did break their toilet and then flushed it flooding the entire bathroom.|..|

Last time I was there a girl was cleaning out the ashtrays and she emptied one into the other right above my spanking brand new pint of guinness. Half of it fell into my pint. When I asked her for a new one she looked puzzled..ash on guinness..what a delicacy?? she got me a new one and it took her all of 20 seconds to get my "new pint"

Originally posted by egg_
When were you there last, Alex? Last time we played there the PA was new (October)

I'd guess Motherbooker is Saul. Is that right?

I don't know..... I guess I didn't go there for a long while since I was SO fuckin' disappointed the last time....

Is the sound any good now with the new PA?

Over the years I think I've 'played' in Dorans 12 times. Occasionally the sound has been respectable. Some strange shit has happened to us there (and Dan as one time HGF will attest):

1/ We played a Saturday open mike afternoon, nearly got into a fight with some skangers playing pool while sound checking and as soon as I hit the first chord the fire alarm goes off and we are booted out of the place.

2/ Doing a support after some Rugby game we have to litterly kick some scumbags off the stage whilst they are attempting to climb up and unplug our gear (mid song - we kept the tune going!)

Originally posted by Alex
Is the sound any good now with the new PA?

Depends on who's behind the desk. A guy called Mark (I think he's in Johnny Pyro) has done the best job on sound for us there. They have monitors now too, which is nice.

I like Doran's. Things can get a bit chaotic, but I've had some good fun in the place, and Saul is about the only non-scene music person in Dublin who returns phone calls

(that Saturday afternoon thing they run is just horrific though, or at least it was the one time I was there (over 3 years ago))

Originally posted by Unclealo

1/ We played a Saturday open mike afternoon, nearly got into a fight with some skangers playing pool while sound checking and as soon as I hit the first chord the fire alarm goes off and we are booted out of the place.

I think when you can play a gig in front of a bunch of people who want to beat the shit out of you, you can do pretty much anything.

its not that bad.

Mark is a great sound man. He sorted us out when the bumbling fool originally assigned to the desk for the evening spent hours arse/elbowing about, not having a general clue.

He was foreign. Nothing against foreigners, just letting everyone know to watch out for the foreign sound dude in Dorans, he is a doofus...

Not a bad venue, once you got loads of mates there! Agreement about the gak booze though.

Wockaboo!

Re: its not that bad.

Originally posted by Wooly
He was foreign. Nothing against foreigners, just letting everyone know to watch out for the foreign sound dude in Dorans, he is a doofus...

Hey that was me you F*~*&~!!!! :D

Seriously, do think you can "take" your own engineer if you play a gig there? We want to put together a gig for the album release and didn't decide where yet.... any suggestions?

Janey, I dunno.

I'm pretty sure that if you put on enough of an air of authority, you could bring your own soundman anywhere. They might try to call your bluff by saying that you have to pay their house guy to be there as well, but getting someone who is good at negotiating will help your cause.

We usually make do with the house sound guy. No real bad experiences yet, except the guy who used to be Fez in that 70's show. (see earlier post)

Originally posted by Wooly
Janey, I dunno.

I'm pretty sure that if you put on enough of an air of authority, you could bring your own soundman anywhere. They might try to call your bluff by saying that you have to pay their house guy to be there as well, but getting someone who is good at negotiating will help your cause.

We usually make do with the house sound guy. No real bad experiences yet, except the guy who used to be Fez in that 70's show. (see earlier post)

Yep we use to do with the house sound guy as well and had no big troubles so far. We're are investing a lot of time, work and money in that night though: it has to be perfect, we can't screw up!

Which do you guys think is the best venue for an album release?

Well, never having done an album release before, i'm not really the dude to talk to..

But if you think about it - Whelan's would be the best place for it. (Relatively) easy to fill & have a party - Central city - Easy to control the door - Not too strict on curfews etc.

The only drawback is that you practically have to be married to the booker if you're not in there already, or they simply tell you to piss off, or lump you with a monday in december.

Voodoo is a tad far away unless you *knew* hundreds of people were coming.

Dorans - you run the risk of getting a pool cue up the hole, coupled with the possibility of scoring Fez the sound man.

DA2 might be a good score.
Mono is too huge, hard to fill.

I dunno... start sending milk tray to the booker in Whelans, if I were you... hehe

Just to say that I played there a couple of times recently - both soundmen we had were very helpful. Mark, who did the sound for me in the voodoo lounge place is a gentleman; he actually listens to the bands playing. I'm a solo type though, and it may be harder for a full band to get a good sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back