The Genius nama Michael Moore... (1 Viewer)

Goodbye

His new Movie BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE is out this month... the 15th i think, theres more info here

prolly be in the IFC or the SCREEN, though you never know

anyone who has read his latest book STUPID WHITE MEN and recognises it as the stroke of undiluted genius that it is and is gummin for a bit more... theres an extra chapter here

that, as they say, is all...

jon ronson is my hero. the tv documentary he did about the ku klux klan leader attempting to be "the caring, sharing face of the klan" was one of the most genius bits of television i've ever seen.

"do you have hoods at home in britain? i'm real proud of mine. let me show you how i iron it..."

Originally posted by minka
jon ronson is my hero. the tv documentary he did about the ku klux klan leader attempting to be "the caring, sharing face of the klan" was one of the most genius bits of television i've ever seen.

"do you have hoods at home in britain? i'm real proud of mine. let me show you how i iron it..."

I remember hearing about this Klan member trying to appeal to a wider audience... it was on the radio like...

DJ: "You're in the Klan... that's a racist organisation"
Klan member: "Emmm.. no it's not"
DJ: "Okay, how many ethnic minorities are members of your group?"
Klan member: "Some"
DJ: "How much is 'some'?"
Klan member: "Em.... none"

Originally posted by Ian
His new Movie BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE is out this month... the 15th i think, theres more info here

anyone who has read his latest book STUPID WHITE MEN and recognises it as the stroke of undiluted genius that it is and is gummin for a bit more... theres an extra chapter here

Another one of his books worth checking out is 'Downsize This !'

It's excellent, as good as Stupid white men if not better.

I'm going to see his show in London on Saturday. My mate who lives in london got some tickets earlier on in the week.

Guess how much each tickets was.

£30 + booking fee + handling fee...

thats sterling.

i find this a bit ironic.

Originally posted by Ian

I would not go so far to say that stupid white men is a stroke of genius.

there was a piece in it he wrote about the northern ireland peace process which I thought was complete bullshit.

It is a very amusing book , yet I was dissapointed with it. I was expecting it to be a lot more factual.

back to my john pilger collection so.............

Re: Re: The Genius nama Michael Moore...

Originally posted by spiritualtramp

there was a piece in it he wrote about the northern ireland peace process which I thought was complete bullshit.

I agree wholeheartedly... utter bullshit... I tippexed it out

saw a trailer for Bowling... last night and definitely will be going to see it. the show he did about the NRA etc. that was on Channel4 a good while ago was great. take the skinheads bowling :)

saw a clip this morning on that shite channel 4 program Rise... he was interviewing Maralon Manson... Making the point that the Presedent of the USA bombs everywhere and basically gets away with murder on a daily basis, and theres Marilon being considered evil when all he does is sing songs... t'was funny...

The Dart line is now suddenly postered to fuck advertising the movie... I've decided not to succum to the hype... I'm not going anymore!

Re: Re: The Genius nama Michael Moore...

Originally posted by spiritualtramp
I would not go so far to say that stupid white men is a stroke of genius.

But 43% of the population on Norn Iron would probably agree with his whole army of occupation thing... but I have to admit, it made me take the rest of his global analysis with a pinch of salt... even though i agree with him on most of it.... I thought the peacful protest recommendation to the palestinians was spot on.

Re: Re: Re: The Genius nama Michael Moore...

Originally posted by pete
But 43% of the population on Norn Iron would probably agree with his whole army of occupation thing... but I have to admit, it made me take the rest of his global analysis with a pinch of salt... even though i agree with him on most of it.... I thought the peacful protest recommendation to the palestinians was spot on.

michael moores plan for palestine ,nonviolent mass civil disobedience , is great in theory.what I am wondering is why
it has not been attempted before?perhaps because considering the actions of the israeli defence forces over the years (massacres , shooting children blah blah blah) most palestinians would be too petrified to attempt this.

I really got enraged at his open letter to yasser arafat.where the hell was his open letter to ariel sharon?

he says to arafat "unfortunately i know your inclination is to keep drawing blood".whilst I know arafat is not perfect I cannot understand why mm seems to be blaming arafat for all the bloodshed.arafat always condemns every single suicide bombing.why could he not address the open letter to the leaders of hamas or the al aqsa brigade? a typical american foxnews attitude blaming arafat for each and every suicide bombing despite the fact that it has nothing to do with him.

he also says to yasser "for gods sake man they (the israelis) had six million of their people massacred". as though he thinks arafat is somehow unaware of this fact.

this pissed me off no end - "Is that what you want?every last jew wiped from the planet?".so according to michael moore , arafat is
an anti semetic intent on finishing off hitlers work.correct me if I am wrong here but I think that what arafat actually wants is an end to ALL the violence and a homeland for his people.

this part I found laughable "trust me ,when the pictures of your suffering at the hands of these brutes go out across the world
there will be such an outcry that the israeli government will be unable to continue its oppression".

what a load of crap!

there has been pictures of oppression in palestine going out across the world for decades and the israelis have been getting away scott free with it.grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Re: Re: Re: Re: The Genius nama Michael Moore...

It's understandable that a lot of people have it in for the Israeli government. Personally I think Ariel Sharon and his cohorts are too far to the right to make any significant contribution to piece. The arrogant religious zeal which is behind their politics has had and will have serious knock-on effects for the rest of the world.

However, Yasser Arafat is a bad leader for the Palestinians. He is hell-bent on retaining power and has appointed incapable people into positions of authority. His cronies do not represent the Palenstinians well, and are certainly too far to the right themselves to make any contribution to peace in this region. Well, that's what I think. One is as bad as the other.

I think when it comes to finding fault with his own corrupt country he's spot on... sher dozzent he have to live with it... but for matters outside the usa (further afield then the borders north and south) his arguments can be a little iffy...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Genius nama Michael Moore...

Originally posted by billygannon
It's understandable that a lot of people have it in for the Israeli government. Personally I think Ariel Sharon and his cohorts are too far to the right to make any significant contribution to piece. The arrogant religious zeal which is behind their politics has had and will have serious knock-on effects for the rest of the world.

However, Yasser Arafat is a bad leader for the Palestinians. He is hell-bent on retaining power and has appointed incapable people into positions of authority. His cronies do not represent the Palenstinians well, and are certainly too far to the right themselves to make any contribution to peace in this region. Well, that's what I think. One is as bad as the other.

agreed , he is a bad leader.

I would like to see saeb erakat or hanan ashrawi in charge.

perhaps I am slightly biased but I do not think arafat is as bad as sharon.
fair enough , arafat is responsible for "terrorism" (am getting very sick of that word) but he did it for the freedom of his people.

what reason did sharon have for the massacres at sabra and shatila?

http://www.ummah.net/unity/sabra/main.html

Originally posted by Ian

The Dart line is now suddenly postered to fuck advertising the movie... I've decided not to succum to the hype... I'm not going anymore!

trust me,that's not a good enough reason not to go.I saw it a few weeks ago as i have already said in another post.
It is definitely one of the top films of the year.
The statistics he mentions are absolutely unbelievable,here's one:
Gun related deaths per year: (can't remember exact figures here)
Germany:300
France:250
Britian: 200
Canada:150
US:11,000

You have to admit there is something seriously wrong there.

Re: Re: Re: The Genius nama Michael Moore...

Originally posted by pete
I thought the peacful protest recommendation to the palestinians was spot on.

well i thought it was complete and utter pious bullshit rubbish but there ya go.

perhaps it would make more sense to consider that he's mainly writing for a domestic american audience. however, that doesn't excuse the rubbish he came out with about israel/palestine; not exactly much mention of the crucial u.s. role in the area as well either...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back